Moderator's note: re Off-topic posts

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mike dixon, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Please note that this is not the "link to cool YouTube videos or awesome slideshows" forum. Unless your link is directly related to the philosophy of photography or is relevant to the philosophical question you are posting, please find a more-appropriate forum in which to post it.
    Posts concerning the history of photography should be of a philosophical nature, not simply a link to the work of photographers from the past.

2. jtk

jtk

Understood.

I'm probably the bad guy here, surely one of them: I've been insisting that photography lives more importantly on YouTube (eg instruction and interviews) and in online slide shows ...than on mere websites...

If one bothers to look, one will find that many online presentations are more significant photographically than Ansel-clone photos on tourist gallery walls, or coffee table books.

Important newspapers interviewing photographers now virtually always demand skills in Flash, video, or at least soundslides..and they want soundslide portfolios (examples on www.soundslides.com or www.mediastorm.org or www.lightstalkers.org)

...and is it OK to mention Magnum's commitment to online multimedia?

3. Myself, I enjoy the photography and the thoughts of folks who post on this site.....particularly the talented photography. If I have an interest in other websites I go to them. If I have to go to another website to look at someone's photos I usually don't bother if they cannot be bothered to post them here.

4. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

Allen, all Mike is saying is to use the proper forum within the site. There are plenty of forums here for posting.

5. Point taken,Jeff.

6. Noticing, though, what a convert to soundslides you have become, John, I would be interested in your philosophical take on it. Is this whole multimedia thing anything new, or is it just the current, low-res, gimmicky descendant of the slide-shows-to-music that we used to do in the 1970s? What do you think is/will be its impact on the medium?

7. >If one bothers to look, one will find that many online presentations are more significant photographically than Ansel-clone photos on tourist gallery walls, or coffee table books.<

I'm sure that's possible - on the other hand, I'm sure there are Ansel-clone photos on tourist gallery walls and coffee table books that are more significant photographically thn to be found on many online presentations, too.

8. jtk

jtk

August, since it's forbidden to link to a modern website (ie one that takes current professional photo directions into consideration...which specifically mean multi-media, youtube, etc) I don't know how to respond.

Mike Dixon's shockingly uninformed about Photo.net's blind spot here: no forum on Photo.net ever dealt well with traditional slide shows, so there's no awareness of the current zenith of slide shows, which is probably Soundslides. But there are several competing technologies...soundslides is just the easiest and cheapest, the one used by professionals for the past two years or so (I don't think anyb pro bothers with Mac's approximation as it's far too complicated and limited). Check Soundslides.com for examples. There's little on Photo.net of this photo-communicative quality, especially in the "street" forum, IMO...the goal here is to peddle prosumer Nikons, holgacrap, hipshooting, cynicism etc.

From a "philosophic" point of view, people who think photography boils down to prints are the folks who need to defend themselves...not me. They get very anxious and obnoxious here when photographic sequences are mentioned: sound is entirely around the bend for them. Crochety little old lady former photo hobbiests. They don't even like it when deliberative photograpy, commercial photography, or real photojournalism is mentioned. Lots of reference to academic issues, which means they don't actually have ANY interest in photography itself.

9. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

it's forbidden to link to a modern website
    John, I'm not sure what you are talking about. It's fine to link to a website, you just can't embed images/slideshows/videos in a thread here. Link away!

10. since it's forbidden to link to a modern website
    Please re-read my initial post: "Unless your link is directly related to the philosophy of photography or is relevant to the philosophical question you are posting, please find a more-appropriate forum in which to post it."