Moderator, why was my post about the Rolleiflex SLX I bought on ebay deleted?

douglas_green1

I posted earlier today about a Rollei SLX that I just BOUGHT on

ebay. It was most definitely NOT a For Sale post. The point of my

post was to make people aware of the type of screaming great values

in Medium Format cameras that are presently in the market, and that

now is a fantastic time for getting involved with Medium Format,

because of the amazing values that are presently obtainable - this

Rollei being one example.

Yet this post, which I believe had value to the community, and which

MOST ASSUREDLY did not violate any of the guidelines of this forum,

was deleted, for no apparent reason. What gives? Somebody is

weilding an oppressively heavy hand with censorship on this forum,

and I'd really like to understand why.

Douglas.

For every happy buyer, like you appear to be, there is a happy seller. Perhaps the fact that many people are dumping mdedium format gear is a good reason NOT to buy the stuff. Who knows? But you need to think a bit more about it. There are two sides to the story.

I agree with the previous respondent that this is the wrong forum. If you want to talk about medium format cameras, perhaps you should try the medium format threads.

Regards, Ross

Sorry, I don't get it. How is medium format camera equipment not camera equipment? I think his point is that now is a good time to get into medium format. Therefore his post would be of interest to those who aren't already into medium format, and who (therefore) would most likely not be reading the Medium Format forum.

Jeesh, you people can be so anal.

And BTW, this WAS posted in THIS forum by accident. I meant to post this in the Medium Format forum, which is where the original post was deleted from.

And, incidentally, just because there is a HAPPY buyer, there is NO assurance that there is a HAPPY seller, and vice versa. On ebay, any number of items sell for MORE than they are worth, and/or LESS than they are worth. It IS possible that the seller wanted to get $800 for it, but didn't knowledgeably list it that way, and is in fact dissappointed. It is ALSO possible that the seller is GLAD to be rid of a lemon, in which case I will NOT be a happy buyer after using the camera in question and finding out about it's problems. The fact is, market value of pro-class MF gear IS plummeting, probably due to the sudden acceptance of digital images in commercial markets, which is creating a supply/demand imbalance. As a hobbyist in search of the ultimate quality, this is now a GREAT time to buy MF gear, which is now suddenly no more expensive than good quality 35mm gear, while it used to be FAR more expensive. The Rollei setup that I just bought for $610 in Mint Condition, sold not too many years ago for several thousand dollars. This would be analogous to getting a Nikon F5 for $610, or an F4 or F100 for $300 if comparable pricing existed in the used market for MF gear vs. 35mm gear. In any case, it CERTAINLY seemed to me to be a subject worthy of discussion, and that censorship of my original post made no sense at all.

Douglas, there is also sometimes the not happy seller just because he/she is selling out of needd(even if those are not the most of the cases).

And lets be real folks, I don't have any fear to say it. The post was deleted simply because it was related to an EBay transaction, quite and clear, that's all.

It was related to camera equipment, I didn't violated any rules as far I see, but it was itching in that way....

That was my suspicion too. I get the sense that in certain forums (especially the MF forum) the moderators are predisposed to delete anything that's ebay-related, even when it is NOT a link to an item offerred for sale on ebay. Maybe they are trying to discourage photo.net posters from using ebay. But that would be like trying to hold back the ocean with a beach towel.

Douglas:

I don't think you did anything wrong posting about your recent purchase experience on eBay here, even in this forum that's related to "CAMERA EQUIPMENT". I believe that since this site is sponsored by B&H Photo, Adorama, etc., they probably don't like to see posts of people telling others how to get great deals on eBay. I'm pretty sure that if you had written the same post mentioning B&H or Adorama, etc., instead of eBay, it wouldn't have been deleted.

And I agree with you, this is the time to get the good deals on medium and even large format on eBay.