Moderator, why was my post about the Rolleiflex SLX I bought on ebay deleted?

douglas_green1

I posted earlier today about a Rollei SLX that I just BOUGHT on ebay.

It was most definitely NOT a For Sale post. The point of my post was

to make people aware of the type of screaming great values in Medium

Format cameras that are presently in the market, and that now is a

fantastic time for getting involved with Medium Format, because of

the amazing values that are presently obtainable - this Rollei being

one example.

Yet this post, which I believe had value to the community, and which

MOST ASSUREDLY did not violate any of the guidelines of this forum,

was deleted, for no apparent reason. What gives? Somebody is weilding

an oppressively heavy hand with censorship on this forum, and I'd

really like to understand why.

I posted some info on scanning an old faded 616 kodacolor negative; from 1944; with the Epson 2450 scanner; one plus year ago.....I had photos of the homemade negative holder for 616; for the epson 2450; and showed how the calibration slot is required....Also posted were scans with pre scanning modifications; and post Photoshop modifications; showing that doing corrections with the scan software was better...Also shown were screen shots of the software settings for the scanner....................My "question/thread" was deleted because "it was not a question; and your information holds no value; because it is such a general nature".........................This was over 1 year; when the Epson 2450 was the highest ppi flatbed..............I thought the photos of the custom negative holders would be helpful to others; since no info was on the web then about custom holders.....When I read threads about making custom holders; I sometimes reply; but the comment "your information holds no value; because it is such a general nature" makes me wonder why the same questions get asked; then answered; then deleted; due to some ego problems; instead of trying to actually share what one has learned to others............

"The point of my post was to make people aware of the type of screaming great values in Medium Format cameras that are presently in the market, and that now is a fantastic time for getting involved with Medium Format, because of the amazing values that are presently obtainable - this Rollei being one example."

Perhaps one of the moderators wanted that camera ?

Your posting also had the potential to drive up prices !

Douglas,

The photo.net forums are here for question/answers, which are then archived in

order to be useful to future readers.

Posts about email threads are extremely transitory! Not only has this now been sold,

but the links you post won't work after a month. There have been many recent

threads about MF values, therefore the community is aware of this.

I do apologise however for not sending you an explanation for the deletion - I do

send explanations in 95% of deletions. Probably 3-6 threads get deleted every week.

If I was to be realy serious about policing the guidelines on the 'ask a question' page

probably 20 or more threads per week would be deleted.

As a moderated forum there is some editorial/moderaton control here, which you

implicitly accept by posting to the forum. This hopefully prevents the threads from

degenerating into a usenet style free for all, where many groups are unreadable.

Censorship is an entirely different concept.

Well Andrew, I have to say that your deletion certainly appears to be completely arbitrary. I don't see any published guideline that indicates that a post must be a QUESTION, as opposed to a bit of potentially timely information. I also don't see any published guideline that indicates that the content of a post needs to be timeless, rather than relevant over a finite window of opportunity. Perhaps you need a category where the threads will only be visible for a short period, whereby they are not archived. Certainly this thread would have been something I'd characterize that way. I ALSO don't recall any recent threads related to the current market value of a Rolleiflex SLX system. I can recall any number of threads about various Mamiya SLRs, RFs, and TLRs, various Hasselblad systems, various Rollei TLRs, other brands of TLRs, Koni Omegas, Bronicas, miscellaneous folders, etc. But NOTHING recent about the value/features/utility of any Rollei 6x6 SLRs, which, many folks consider to be the most advanced line of MF cameras anywhere. I think you were entirely too quick to delete this post, as it was both relvant, and NOT redundant in terms of it's specific subject. Certainly it followed a theme that we've seen in any number of recent threads, but there was NO redundancy in the PARTICULAR content of my post which warranted it's deletion.

Steve,

I respect your camera choice. Please to not attack my choice. I am a Rollei user TLR and SLR. I know the first SLX design had problems, but the second version was much improved.

I use a 6008 and finds it better then any Hassy, I have used. However that is personal option.

I do wish Rollei had more service centers in the USA. But living in NY, my turn around time is fast.

The prices on Rollei cameras is amazingly low and a great time to buy.

well Steve and Dale, this was exactly the type of discussion I was HOPING to have with that thread prior to it being deleted by the moderator without any logical rationale.

It was a 2nd gen SLX (black shutter release button), and it is in virtually mint condition, and came with battery pack, charger, a mint condition 80mm Rollei Zeiss Planar HFT lens, with square hood & cap.

Not sure about the deleted stuff, but many of the SLX second version are still in use. The camera optic is the same as the current version. The only difference is in the shutter speeds and the automatic setting links with the 6000 series camera.

Enjoy and happy light drawing!

Douglas wrote:<p>

<blockquote><i>Perhaps you need a category where the threads will only be visible for a short period, whereby they are not archived. </I></blockquote><p>

In fact, they do have this on photo.net...it's called the

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=201">General (not archived) forum</a>

<p>

Posts there are only active for 48 hours and then they disappear!

There *is* already a non-archived category in the MFD forum. The decision to "non-archive" a post is made by the moderator, who is also able to decide when in the life a post he will "non-archive" it. "Non-archiving" a post is commonly referred to as "deleting".

In the General Unrchived forum, the "non-archiving" action is usually made by the software after 48 hours, although even in that forum, a moderator can speed up the "non-archiving" of a post.