Modeling Light heads for portable Norman units

btmuir

Hey everyone,

I'm putting together a portable setup and was thinking about how useful these modeling lights are for the

200B or 400B packs. I realize you need the ML capable head & appropriate reflector but am wondering

what wattage modeling lights they can handle?

Seems the 25 watt would be next to useless and was hoping you could mount a brighter bulb? Anyone

out there know. I think you might be able to go 150 watts with the 400B but am wondering what my

choices are for both units (200B/400B). I know it can tax the battery and will use this function only

sparingly.

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what the sockets or wiring are rated for. A 25watt bulb draws 2amps at 12 volts. A 150 watt bulb draws 12 amps at 12 volts. What is the amp hour rating of the battery in the pack. A 20 amp hr battery will run a 150 watt lamp for approx 30 min before the voltage will be too low for the flash to work with reasonable recycle times.

Well a quicky google search shows the battery for the 200B to be 2.5 amp/hr. Forget the big or even little modeling lamps if you want the battery to last for a 100 flashes. The 400B battery is even a lower capacity, 1.8 amp/hr.