Modeling lamps

clinton_vetter

I bought two cheap strobes (180 WS each) and the modeling lamp is only 50

watts. Is it possible to buy more powerful modeling bulbs and stick them in

so I can use them as continuous lighting as well, or is this a bad thing? If

so...where can I get some?

Thank You

Clint Vetter

You need to be very careful uprating the modelling lamps and need to check the spec of your strobes. The big issue is heat, especially with accessories such as snoots and it could fry the unit or worse.

The colour temp and output of modelling lamps is unlikely to be stabilised so will give inconsistent results - plus there's the heat. This is why modern continuous lighting tends to use flourescent lamps.

you didn't mentioned what you have so it is impossible to suggest anything.It is not recommended anyway very especially with cheap strobes wich by definition are built barely for just what they were designed and surely not more.Excessive heat is a first concern,overloading wiring/ciscuits is another one rendering strobe unusable even for what it was designed .

If you haven't had them too long, you might consider returning them and getting something with more powerful modeling lamps. My Novatrons came with 100-watt bulbs and I was able to replace them with 150-watt quartz with no problem. Even at 150, when they're bounced into an umbrella, that's just barely enough to focus by. So when I see the low-cost strobes advertised with 50 and 60-watt modeling lights I think they'd might as well not have modeling lights. Forget about trying to shoot by modeling lights -- you need 500 watts plus in a hotlight to get any kind of decent aperture and shutter speed. The smallest hot light I use (when using hot lights) is a 250-watt Lowell Pro Light used as a hair light.