Model wants to use my photos in her portfolio - What do I do?

<p>A question of etiquette:<br>

I have not worked with the model in question yet. She's asking if she can use the photos we take together in her portfolio. I'm paying her for her time of course.<br>

I'm just wondering should I adjust the payment to reflect this as she's getting more value than would be normal?<br>

Or is that unreasonable? Is it considered normal to give a model some photos you own and paid her for? There's no guarantee that she'll credit me properly or otherwise.<br>

<br />Just a shout in the dark.</p>

<p>Often such deals are done under at "TFP" (Trade for Photos) deal, in which you take the photos in exchange for her modeling and she models in exchange for the resulting photos.<br>

Such deals are common, but you need to understand licensing so you can write an agreement that allows you to use the photos and for her to use the photos, and specifies what use she can make of the photos.<br>

If it's a straight "model for hire" deal, she does not have any rights to the photos. You are paying her to model for you. If you give her any photos make sure you have a written agreement that describes what she can and cannot do with the photos.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>She's providing a service, for which she is being compensated. If she wishes to hire you to provide a service (i.e. produce photos for her portfolio) then she should compensate you. Simple as that.</p>

<p>+1 on license agreement no matter what. And don't forget your model agreement for her.</p>

<p>Here's something to think about. This gets debated here in a similar way to "image theft," when the images don't have significant value. What's interesting is that when the images do have significant value, the results are the opposite of the amateur/beginner's approach here.</p>

<p>Anyone who has sat down with a successful model and looked through their book (or looks online) sees plenty of tear sheets in which the photographer is neither credited nor compensated. It's expected by all the parties, despite the model being paid, the copyright remaining with the photographer (usually) and the licensee being the publication or business. So everyone can talk about what they think "should" happen in this case, but if the model and photographer were successful, it would be shown by the model.</p>

<p>Even if there is no credit attributed to you on her portolio, it could be good advertising of your skills and business.</p>

<p>People frequently ask "Who took those beautiful pictures?".</p>

<p>What you do? - ask her to include your name as a photographer in her portfolio somewhere, and let her have the pictures. This could bring you more business.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>Anyone who has sat down with a successful model and looked through their book (or looks online) sees plenty of tear sheets in which the photographer is neither credited nor compensated. It's expected by all the parties, despite the model being paid, the copyright remaining with the photographer (usually) and the licensee being the publication or business. So everyone can talk about what they think "should" happen in this case, but if the model and photographer were successful, it would be shown by the model.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is a difference between a tear sheet, which is published/publicly available (and for which the photographer should have been paid by his client or the publication) and an image which only the photographer has. If you want to shoot a model you pay them. If you want someone to take your photo for you to use in your business (your portfolio or other business use) you pay the tog - or you work out a TFP deal where you both get images. In the former case where the model is being paid they don't get images for their own use, unless they get published and can be torn from the magazine.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>If the model is showing her book to people who you see as potential clients (e.g. art directors, editors) she may be doing you a favor that's much more valuable than the pictures you're giving her.<br /> Of course your name / phone / URL must appear prominently on the picture, but most models don't mind that.<br /> I got a major assignment from an AD to whom this young woman showed her book. (It was before the advent of the internet, so no URL)<br>

And the shoot itself was not at all unpleasant!</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>First, most "models" don't stand a chance in hell of getting a paying job. Obviously this model is a freelancer and/or starting out or she would be working on assignment or the representing agency would arrange the images. Having said that, it is not desirable for a model to submit a portfolio with logos etc to the potential client. Provide the model with a 9X12 finished print for her book and a low-resolution watermarked image for her on-line use. Give her a specific license agreement that dictates use of image for self-promotion only and don't adjust the day rate. She only needs a one copy of each look for her use. You can even just give one copy, but never two of the same set/outfit/style. IF the images are for your own self-promotion, this is a great way to get your name out, if the images are for publication, your contract with the publisher will dictate usage. In either case, you don't have to give her images if she is paid, but it is customary and the best way to develop a professional relationship with the model, with whom future projects may occur.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>In my view, supplying sample photos with your watermark is good for you and the model. It helps the model to have a professional photo from a known photographer in her online portfolio, and it helps you to build a name for yourself. Whether you are known or not, a watermark makes you look known.<br /><br />In my experience, experienced models that work regulary don't ask for photos. Only beginning models ask for photos, partly because modeling is still a novelty for them and they are curious to see what the photos look like, and partly because they need professional photos for their online portfolio.<br /><br />When a beginning model asks for images, I tell her I will send her some samples. I put together 8-12 sample images from the shoot, which may have included 6 or 7 sets or looks. The samples are usually 800 pixels on the long side, and include my promo stamp (watermark). I tell her they are promotional images and she can use them in any way - social media or online profile - as long as the promo stamp remains visible.<br /><br />I hire models through modeling agencies. Some agencies use their own photos for the model's online profile. Other agencies use a mix of their own photos and photos from jobs the models have had. I have no problem supplying promotional images to the agency. I check the agency website to see what size they use in model profiles, and I send them about 6 images that size. Some agencies in LA have several models with my images in their profile. That can't hurt my reputation.<br /><br />When I hire independent art models through sites like Model Mayhem, the same arguments hold. A good sample image that includes a watermark is good for everybody.</p>