model wants my shots for free

<p>I attended a portrait shoot a few weeks ago, where I, and several other photographers, paid for the privilege of professional tutoring while we shot various (unpaid) models in an outdoor location. We never signed anything concerning the models and there were no model releases that I saw. We all posted some images online after the shoot, for discussion purposes. I posted two images, and both were heavily post-processed, because that's what I enjoy doing. Frankly, I made the models look a lot better than real life! I have no intention of trying to market the images (and was told I wasn't allowed to). Now one of the models--who saw her pictures-- has contacted me via email and wants a printable file of her picture to include in her portfolio. I am feeling like I shouldn't give it away for free, yet I am not a "professional" portrait photographer; I do sell prints of various subjects occasionally. I was wondering what thoughts any of you in the PN community might have. Thank you for your input.</p>

<p>Well, I'd give her the print. Perhaps in return for a signed model release if I really liked the image and she's willing. According to your account, she was working for free so be a nice guy- the favorable word-of-mouth may do you more good in the long run...</p>

<p>Lagniappe. No problem. Posing for prints is a common trade for models. You <em>want </em>to say yes to this. You should <em>already</em> have said yes to this!</p>

<p>You should make the model look better than she would in real life. That's your half of the deal! It's a sign that you should get some of those prints to your model immediately! Put together a small package, get yourself a chance to present them to her, and make her feel welcome for the time she spent modeling.</p>

<p>As a matter of course, I have no problem with providing a sample copy to anyone featured in one of my photographs. As long as the photo is technically sound, and it makes basic sense to do it, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to provide a sample. If you get concerned about giving away your best or something; simply limit print size or crop slightly from the original. I would recommend always budgeting for giving some sample photos.</p>

<p>When I used to work at a newspaper, I once had to be the guy who handed a person a free copy of that day's paper. He was waiting right outside the factory to see the paper come off the press. He was the A1 above the fold story, in a succession of headshots; story was about how he was in some hot water over a local problem. He got a free sample.</p>

<p>You don't need to get indicted to get a free sample from a good publisher. Samples are common cost, professional courtesy; and most of the time they make people feel better by showing them what the results of their interaction with you were. Always set aside some samples.</p>

<p>Lagniappe.</p>

<p>I would propose to print it for her. So you control the quality and how many are actually printed. Otherwise she could also give the file to a third party for usage, something you don't want. And send her a low res. file (600px @ 72dpi) for her website. But in return you need to obtain a release, so she can't get you if you publish the photograph on a website etc. (That's worth a couple of prints and postage).</p>

<p>it is a common untold understanding that you should give her a pritn or two for free..you dotn need a release since you wont use id image to sell anything except yourself and your talent. A release should be ask if you intend to sell this image for a beer ad, a poster to sell a product or else.. if its only personal promo to help your biz theres no problem...do you think phographer ask for a release to all model to put them in is portfolio?..same thing for your web site.</p>

<p>Just dont tell her she need a lot of post to make her look good..she certainly already see tghat in your work, no need to push it further : )</p>