Model Release for Sports Photography?

jennie_norris

Hi there,

I sell posters and photos at sports events. In order for people to

view my poster styles prior to ordering, I use photos of previous

participants at events I have photographed on "sample posters" with

fake names and location of events. I hang these sample posters

behind my booth for the duration of the event...

Also, I do trading cards, and sometimes send out samples to leagues

so they can see what the cards are like, again with fake names and

location of event....

Is a model release needed for these things? I like to use my own

photography, and it is generally chosen AFTER the event which usually

is attended by 500-1000 kids.

Thanks for the help!

Jennie

Model releases are required for commercial and promotional photography, so YES, absolutely, you must have a model release.<P>

It shouldn't be hard to get one. You could have a simplified, non-scary-looking one, that is only for this specific use, and ask participants to sign one when you get a particularly good photo of them. Many people would probably be flattered and sign with little or no compensation - you could offer a dollar or two off for their trouble.

• 4 weeks later...
For your samples? No, don't use unreleased pictures. The risk (that you'd be found using someone's image w/o permission in a commercial application) is limited but it's entirely avoidable. Besides, it would seem that taking the time to do a couple of set pieces would allow you to really tailor the shots and lighting compared to the more rushed environment at an event.

• 4 weeks later...
You don't mention if these are professional or amateur events. While it doesn't have any bearing on the need for a model release (for the uses you mention you'll need one regardless,) it certainly affects the effort required to obtain a release. Obviously most amateurs are easy, the pros can be a nightmare, wanting ridiculous amounts of money, but don't shy away from the pros just pick your shots, stay away from big names that have lots of sponsors concentrate on those that just turned pro they can be quite agreeable. Not only that but they may one day be the big pros and you'll already have your release. I give atheletes who sign for me 20% of any money I make on their photos. This arrangement may not work for you, if you are selling lots of posters and cards it would be a bookkeeping nightmare. I'd shoot for a flat fee for your uses.