Model Fee

<p>A model is paid for their time, like a photographer. They are paid from arrival - whether being made up, waiting around or being shot. They are also paid for travel time and expenses if relevant. As Mikael says, everything should be clear and contractual before the shoot so that there are no grey areas.</p>

<p>I start counting when the are on set, so prep isn't included but wardrobe changes are. In the old days it was a lot different and the agencies spelled it all out for working with their models, these days with so many independent (internet) models you should spell it out.<br>

If your doing a lot of shots or expect it to take some real prep time with many wardrobe changes it may be simpler to just day them a 1/2 or full day rate and not worry about it.</p>

<p>It always depends on the model, the agency they're working with, etc. Most of the time I ask for a fully comprehensive quote and it usually includes a set amount of time for transport and their time starts counting from the moment they arrive to the moment the shoot is completed. I usually get them to sign at the roll-call sheet with the time clearly marked there.</p>

<p>John B wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A model is paid for their time, like a photographer. They are paid from arrival - whether being made up, waiting around or being shot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not all photographers are "paid for their time." Like the contract with a model, a contract with a photographer <em>may </em>establish payment by the hour, or payment for a shoot (e.g., a number of photographs, models, products, settings, etc.). <em>If the contract stipulates payment by the hour, </em>then the model likely (and reasonably) expects payment from the time he or she arrives. But it should be negotiated ahead of time and included in the written agreement.</p>