MkII shutter failure

derek_simpson

My 1D MkII shutter failed just out of warranty and will cost ?242 to

repair. Can't possibly have done 200,000 shots (Canon's boast and

big selling point for the camera) in my opinion - is there a lot of

this happening and should we be talking or am I first or just

unlucky ?

Sorry to hear about that. One thing to keep in mind is that when you see a shutter with an MTBF of 200k (I think that's what the 1D is), the acronym is *mean* time between failures. That's average. For every shutter that lasts 250k, there'll be one that fails at 150k.

Are you in the UK? I'm guessing maybe...<P>

If that is the case, then you may have luck under the Sales of Goods acts, assuming you bought the camera in the UK. The act states that goods should be of "satisfactory quality". You have a strong case that a very expensive camera that fails after just over a year (I'm assuming) is not of "satisfactory quality". This is assuming, of course, that you are correct that it has not had a very hard life.<P>

Note that your argument is with the shop you bought the camera from. They are the ones with the obligations to you under the SoG Act.<P>

Please note, I am not a lawyer, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. If I were you, I'd contact your local trading standards officers.<P>

You may also find some of the advice <a href="http://www.cambridgeshire.net/advice/services/consumer/goods/Guarantees_or_Warranties.htm">here </a>useful, particularly the first item under the FAQ.<P>

If you are not in the UK, then all the above is useless. Sorry.

There is a lot of this happening, and you are unlucky enough to have bought one of the defective cameras, by the sounds of it.

My local store has had several new Mk II's (1D and 1Ds) come back with shutter problems, and the topic has also been discussed at length on sites like naturescapes.net

I've heard Canon's next DSLR will be named in hounour of the head of their Quality Control department - it will be called the "1D 10T".

>>The act states that goods should be of "satisfactory quality". You have a strong case that a very expensive camera that fails after just over a year (I'm assuming) is not of "satisfactory quality".<<

Problem is the camera did NOT fail, the sutter did and the shutter is considered a part that is subject to wear, and reasonably so. If the poster feels the shutter failed under the 200,000 shots he should call Canon and see what they have to say about it. if the shutter failed after 50,000 shots I am pretty sure that they would replace it for free, EVEN if it was out of warranty. Canon has traditionally been good at taking care of PRO equipment.

But, if the shutter failed after 100,000 shots I don't think they would consider it abnormal.

Best thing to do is call Canon in your area and see what they say or do.

Question: do you know how many shots you have taken?

Derek,

In the US, AmEx doubles most warranties, if the merchandise

was purchased with an AmEx card. I don't know if this service

exists in other countries.

I recently needed the shutter replaced on a 10D. I was very

pleasantly surprised that AmEx has made the process very

simple and reimbursed me for the repair very promptly. Some

MC's and Visa cards offer a similar service.

Canon's work was excellent and the turnaround was quick.

Good luck.

gw.