Mixed Media Painting on Epson Paper

<p>My wife. Diana (both and artist and photographer), uses oil paints on Epson Enhanced Matte paper with excellent results. However, she says that acrylic paints are water based and will cause this paper to pucker. But, it does seem that a paper used for wet-darkroom prints might work?</p>

<p>I would try Epson Matte Scrapbook Paper. It is very affordable and feels more like traditional artist paper. It's archival too, unlike a lot of papers that have OBAs.<br>

Another suggestion is to research Japanese rice and fiber-based paper that is intended for digital printing. Some of these you can see the embedded fibers. Try to get a sample pack and experiment.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I have used both oil and acrylic paint on canvas prints with good result. I have also used watercolour paints on Epson cold pressed photo paper with satisfactory results although the emulsion makes the paint react differently with the paper than it would with a similar weight watercolour paper. I realise that you asked about acrylic on paper but I thought I would offer my experience in case you wanted to experiment with other media.</p>

<p>I imagine that acrylic causing puckering of the paper is going to vary considerably with the amount of paint on the paper and the weight of the paper itself. A thin coat on heavy stock may work out. If you wanted to add a heavy layer of acrylic paint, perhaps sealing the print with a coating of sealant first would be helpful? </p>

<p>You may also want to look into using Marshall oils or retouching pencils which are made for the purpose of applying colour to photographs. B&H has a wide selection of their products. Back in the day, I used their oils to add colour to B&W silver prints.</p>