Mixed media Abstract

AJHingel

<p>I'm sure, that I'm not the only around here who works with other "media" apart from photography. I paint, make sculptures (wood, bronze) and draw, mostly abstract work, and I continue my passion for photography.`Many of my abstract works are based on a combination of these. They are so-called mixed media works.<br>

My paintings and sculptures live their own life, but I use them sometimes as source for photographical work and digital modifications, creating abstract or surrealistic images. In some cases I use photos (nature, architecture) for the similar digital modification workflows.<br>

Whether that process results in something that can be called "abstract photography" is of course depending on definitions. I would include suggest to include them, in the hope of sharing likeminded works of photonetters.<br>

See exemple below<br>

<br>

<br>

</p><div>00eEyQ-566496684.thumb.jpg.7b8ad66233bcbba795fbf03b7475fc3e.jpg</div>

<p>Well, that seems to give a clear message, telling that:</p>

<ul>

<li>There are no-one around who makes mixed media work with camera and digital modification to make abstract images - or no-one who cares to share such work.</li>

<li>Abstract imagess, like those that I have shown, are probably not considered to be "abstract photography" and therfore considered to be beyond the concerns of this forum.</li>

</ul>

<p>I take note.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sometimes it takes a while before others will pursue a certain approach. The important thing that Anders has done is to communicate the possibilities such that others might try this approach. There are several portfolios where post exposure creation leads to surreal like or fantasy images based on figurative elements. As those are claimed as photography there is no reason I think why abstracts so made cannot be. I think the first image is a particularly successful one as the juxtaposition of the cylinders, in one case diagonally, otherwise in seemingly more arbitrary positions, activates the viewer's curiosity. This occurs in this essentially monochrome image, without requiring recourse to an extended colour palette. Bravo.</p>

<p>I often do mixed media work with combining photography painting and sometimes sculpture.<br>

This piece was done by combining a B&W photo of an owls skull with a watercolour done by injecting paint under strips of plastic wrap adhered to wet watercolour paper. The two images were then combined in PS.</p><div>00eFLt-566573084.thumb.jpg.f5988a14ce589fb891369a45a3fa43a3.jpg</div>

<p>Anders, on your first posted image which part is the oil pastels and which part is the digital? I'm curious to see the process in your thinking behind creating such a photo because I can't see this as other than a photographic recording of an abstract oil pastel painting.</p>

<p>For me Gordon has really defined the method of what I'ld consider as mixed media photography in a way I never thought about implementing. Really interesting approaches, Gordon.</p>

<p>I'm sorry to say I don't have any mixed media abstract photos to post since I don't paint or sculpt. I wonder what other media or approach similar to what Gordon conjured could be considered.</p>

<p>What if I took several differently colored spent pieces of chewing gum and mashed them together and photographed it as a macro? I guess the gum could be considered a sculpture seeing that something was changed or manipulated in the gum and not just me photographing a piece of gum I found in the trash.</p>

<p>At least this thread got me to put on my thinking cap. It's certainly got me scratching my head.</p>

<p>"Anders, on your first posted image which part is the oil pastels and which part is the digital?" (Tim)<br>

The image you see, only exist as a digital Tiff file. The oil pastel painting is the red/orange cylinder. The rest is made by layers upon layers of copy/paste, without changing size of the cylinder image, and using 100% transparency/fill filters, after which, some Curves and Gamma/Offset corrections - all in PS. I have made this type of abstract images, with changing work processes, the last 6-7 years. Especially the changing of the transparency/fill filters strength, opens waste creative possibilities.<br /><br>

These images are not made for screen projection. I put much efforts into the printing of these images, where I go to a professional fine art printer, who I have worked with for years, and decide with him the choice of of printing paper (mostly some kind of Canson Infinity Rag papers) and preparation for big format printing on demand.</p>

<p>Gordon, sorry for calling you Gordo ! Sounds more French !<br /> Yes, I print these abstract images in large format, mostly on demand, as 100/100 or 80/80 cm prints. They only communicate in that size. Smaller, they or mainly just colored designs, but in big size, on a wall they, as I experience them, they start communicating more complex messages and feelings.</p>

<p>Really love that last one, Anders. I take it you've really studied and are very familiar with color relationships including their use in optical effects.</p>

<p>That link Gordon provided of one of your gallery folder of abstracts shows you have very keen graphic design sense. I wonder if your works have been used by interior designers.</p>

<p>Thanks Gordon and Tim.<br /> To answer the direct question from Tim, yes these images have been used by interior designers (New York, San Francisco, Doha) but have especially been sold to private collectors in US, Canada, Turkey and middle East - God knows why! <br /> However, please don't turn this into a discussion on me. It was not my intention. What I wanted was to share similar works with photonetters and possibly inspire. Mixed media work, heavily depending on photographic skills, has waste creative possibilities waiting to be explored. Gordon's and Bill's work about show that some do in fact work with these technics, but I'm sure there are others around.</p>

<p>Concerning colour theory. I don't think any photographer working seriously with a camera can advance without digging into colour theory. Not necessarily by going back to school or by reading tons of books and articles (there are so many out there) but by using and training one's eyes in seeing - and seeing what artist have seen throughout history when painting their masterpieces. Expositions and museums are there to exploit for us all.<br /> I must say, that personally I read a lot and have found much inspiration in the theoretical writings of people like Kandinski and Bauhouse artists (Itten) but especially <a href="http://www.openculture.com/2013/09/goethes-theory-of-colors-and-kandinsky.html">Goethe</a> which they all refer to. Much in abstract art (in colors!) depend on it.</p>