Mix and match strobes?!?!

andy_chubb

<p>Hi,<br>

I have a small studio set-up consisting of two Interfit EX150 strobes for lighting a white vinyl backdrop and an Interfit 300W Stellar as my main light.<br>

I was thinking of adding some extra light - the Lastolite 300W Lumen8 2-head set - using these to light the backdrop (as sometimes the 150s struggle to light up the edges as much as I would want (& hence save PS time later)). This would free up the 150s - I plan to use 1 as a fill etc etc etc.<br>

The question is - does anyone have any experience of using such combos of kit? I trigger my lights at the moment with an Interfit IR trigger on the hotshoe - will the Lastolites fire as slaves?<br>

Thanks in advance<br>

andyc</p>

<p>As long as you use full manual mode, you can mix and match strobes to your hearts content. Shoemount flash units, studio pack-and-head strobes, monolights can all be used together. If you are triggering with an IR trigger (or radio trigger for that matter) each flash unit has to have a receiver. Or you could have one flash unit that has an IR receiver and use optical slaves on the rest. I'm not familiar with Lastolite -- are you using a separate IR receive on each of them or do they have a built-in receiver? Built-in optical slaves are pretty common on studio strobes (my Novatrons have them) so that might be the easiest approach. </p>

<p>Most optical slaves are sensitive to visible and InfraRed (IR) light. If a master flash on the camera fires to triger remotes, it usually produces mostly visible light but could also produce some IR. (except SU-800 and such...that are purely IR - but will not trigger some optical slaves),<br>

Craig, or someone could help to explain when/why is appropriate making the distinction between IR and optical ?</p>