Mistake with Provia 400 F and Tri- X . Need Help!

I made a rather stupid mistake whilst loading a roll of Provia 400F and later 1

roll of Kodak Tri-x. The iso- dial on my camera was still set to "200" whereas

these films are both 400- speed.

Can this be corrected by the lab and if so, what instructions do I have to give

them? For the record I just continued to shoot on iso 200..

Unless the Provia contained a non-repeatable event or subject, I would re-shoot. If it is real important, shoot a test roll at the same ISO and have the lab try to shorten (pull) the processing(developer) time. You can then scan it, and save it. Whereas if you over expose chrome film a full stop, you might get back blank film if the subject has a lot of light areas.

Provia, being a color transparency film, has very low tolerance for exposure errors. You might try asking the lab to do a 1 stop pull, but I would not expect too much from this technique. A cursory look through Fuji's tech sheet for the product (available here: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/bin/PROVIA400FAF3-066E_1.pdf) mentions nothing about push or pull processing for this film.

Assuming that you do your own B&W processing, the overexposed Tri-X will present no problem. Developed normally in something like D-76, you'll get negatives that are a bit dense but still capable of producing decent images. Full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol will cost you about 1 stop of film speed, putting the film right on target for one of these "fine grain" developers. Many years ago, Tri-X in Microdol-X was a standard combination for me, and one that delivered pretty good results. Over time, my tastes changed and so did Tri-X. Modern Tri-X is a much finer grained and better all around film than it once was, and the need for something like Microdol-X has largely disappeared.

Uh...the new Provia 400 is the MOST pullable/pushable slide film available. It should easily tolerate this, a one stop error. I agree with "M" and that post:<BR>

Instruct your lab to pull the provia 1 stop.<BR><BR>

For the Tri-X, it is very forgiving, and you could probably just cut your developing time by about 1 to 2 minutes or so, if using D76 or XTOL.<BR>

Jed