Missing your DSLR yet?

Sanford

<p>I'm committed to mirrorless but...I never got this many mis-focused with my Nikon D300, which I still have, and the D50 was even better! I have an XE1 and some old Panasonics but I understand the newer Olympus models rival DSLRs.</p>

<p>I don't miss the DSLRs because I kept them. They so far have shown no hostility towards the NEX bodies (the still camera or its big video cousin). And so far, every time I go to shoot something where low light focus is an issue ... it's still the Nikon DSLR that does the work. But the diminutive NEX7 gets the drone time in the air, Sony's FS700 steps up for the serious video work. With a Metabones adapter, I can happily pass lenses around the whole disjointed family.</p>

<p>No. :-) At the time they were the only game in town, and I spent serious money on them. When mirrorless cameras started to emerge, I saw what many other people saw: a genuine, pure, digital camera. Not a film camera with a sensor. And the amount of lenses you could adapt was huge.</p>

<p>In retrospect, I should have been shooting film all that time. But that perhaps is a story for another day!</p>

Nope. I'm finding myself using the rear screen

more often with lightweight mirrorless cameras

for candid snaps, even when the camera has an eye

level finder. Often I shoot one handed. Those

techniques don't work quite as well with most

dSLRs.

But if I photographed sports, wildlife or needed

specialty lenses, sure, I'd use a dSLR.

Regarding autofocus, dSLRs still have an edge,

especially with shallow DOF when you must be

certain where the focus is. But with candid snaps

I'm usually stopped down. And the Nikon V1 has

excellent AF in most conditions, and the smallish

sensor and DOF compensate for minor focus error.

I'm using the Fuji mostly at a slower pace where

I don't often misfocus.

<blockquote>

<p> I'm using the Fuji mostly at a slower pace where I don't often misfocus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>this is really where the xE1 excels. it's not really a camera you can push to do things it's not good at but it's very good at what it does do well. great to have a small body or two for travel. i'd consider getting an A6000 just for the autofocus, but the lens selection is kinda meh. </p>

I use them both, depending on what I'm doing, but really my Fujis get more use than my FX Nikon. They're just so good,

and so convenient to carry around. I picked up an X-T1 and 18-135 kit when when it was on sale for $1500. It's weather

sealed and shoots at 8 fps. I don't even know what it would cost to get that in a current model Nikon. It can go small with a prime lens, it has that crazy silent electronic 1/32000s shutter and the 35mm and 56mm lenses are German-rangefinder-lenses-good.

I think Fuji fans sound more like pickup truck

fans. Unpretentious, but amusingly devoted to

their brand, whether Ford, Dodge Ram, Chevy, etc.

I mostly like the Fuji image quality straight

from the camera. And the excellent in camera raw

converter. I'm still hoping for an improved X Pro

before getting too invested.

<p>I still have a Nikon DSLR, but only for the 300mm, waiting for the market to provide a valid E-mount alternative.<br /> Sure, my rate of misfocused photos raised a bit (we're talking of a minimal percentage though). The NEX-6 has a serious limitation, that you can't decouple AF from the trigger release - you have to keep the trigger half-pressed, a thing that I find uncomfortable. The A6000, instead, can decouple AF from the trigger release, and I have less misfocused shots. In this case, one has to get into acquaintance with a different system, with different options. For instance, one can select the area of the single focusing sensor, having it much smaller than I was used to with my Nikon DSLR. It's quite useful e.g. for precision focusing with a very shallow DoF (e.g. parts of a flower). In other circumstances, enlarging the area is better. Also, the different focusing system has different corner cases than phase detection, and one must learn them. Now that I know when the AF could fail, I double check in manual mode. The capability of having a live 1:1 preview for focusing, a thing that couldn't happen with the OVF (I even tried with eyepiece magnifiers, but they are cumbersome to use), makes it easier to deal with these cases.<br /> I'm only talking of static subjects for now. Typical moving subjects are wildlife and birds, and usually they need the longer focal, so the 300mm and the Nikon DSLR.</p>

<p>I've been using the Fuji X100 since they first appeared and most of the writing has rubbed off the back! But it has been a fine camera. I traded my M8 for an XPro1 when they appeared and though I've enjoyed using it, especially with the 18-55 lens, I've had focus misses with the 35mm lens. But I've only had these problems with OVF not EVF. Strangely, I don't find it that easy to hold compared with my DSLRs and I get irritated that the exposure comp knob seems to turn itself every time I out it in my bag! I've used both Fujis a lot when travelling but more recently I've been using a Canon 70D which is not heavy and offers a much more versatile choice of lenses.</p>

<p>I miss the better/faster AF and deeper buffer/faster writing of the DSLR. I don't miss the mirror flopping, carrying a heavy bag and constantly changing lenses, concerns over dirt on the sensor, lousy live view and noisy focus sounds during video.</p>

<p>I bought into the Fuji with the XT1 and the kit lens 18-135 but still have my D7000, I thought about selling the Nikon stuff but I will hang on to it, after all it was my first camera. I love the Fuji and can't wait to invest into the system.</p><div>00dRBs-558013384.thumb.jpg.45a72cf209061720095ab5db45e93633.jpg</div>

My DSLR hasn't let the house in about 4 years, so I guess I don't miss it very much. I miss the image quality of the 70-200f4L IS, but my deteriorating vertebrae do not miss it's weight at all. In single shot mode, my E-M5 AF is very fast and accurate, and rarely misses. Can't believe you can pick one up new for under $500 now.

I don't doubt that some mirrorless cameras can

autofocus as quickly and accurately as some dSLRs. But I wonder

how much of that perception of sharpness is due

to the smaller sensors of the 1-inch and Micro

4:3 cameras.

I rarely miss focus badly with the Nikon V1, but

the kit zoom is a 10-30mm and behaves like one,

regardless of the 2.7x factor. The formats

smaller than APS may be inherently forgiving, in terms of our perceptions of adequate sharpness.

And those smaller sensors may benefit from AF

technology that isn't quite matched - yet - by

larger sensors.

It takes precision to accurately focus an M43 45mm f1.8 lens, and after using 2 Canon film SLRs (including an EOS 3), 2 Canon DSLRS, and 2 mirrorless cameras I have a reasonably good sense of what fast AF is like. An M43 sensor at 225 sq MM is not all that small, especially compared with Canon Crop sensors at just 330 sq MM.

<p>No, still have all my Canon gear. I keep it at work and use it during my lunchtime walks. I still like the gear but about 45 minutes or so is all i care to carry it anymore. I've been wondering lately if it's worth keeping. For my needs, my Sony gear is a much better choice. </p>