Missing Photo of the Week - - AGAIN!!

michaellinder

Michael, just a thought, but isn’t it possible to start a thread with a link to a photo (not one of your own, of course) that you consider to be POTW?

It’s possible but would be ill-advised. The PN guidelines state, and I’ve seen it enforced, that the forums, other than POTW, are not a place to critique each other’s photos. I’ve seen latitude given when critiques pop up in threads as part of a bigger dialogue (and that’s occurred only when a member has voluntarily posted one of their own phots to illustrate a point as opposed to asking for critique, the latter being against site policy) but I think it would be frowned upon to start a critique thread of someone else’s work specifically. We’ve each agreed to allow any photo we upload to be chosen by administration for critique, but we haven’t agreed for one of our photos to be chosen by another member to be critiqued in one of the forums. Mind you, I wouldn’t mind a photo of mine being so designated, but just wanted to point out site policy as I understand and have experienced it.

Since administration seems not always up to the task of administering POTW, it might be nice to set up a situation whereby members could do something akin to POTW voluntarily and by mutual agreement of participants.

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Norman, I have no idea where the guidelines are anymore. Haven’t actually seen them since the redesign. I don’t recall if it was in the actual terms of use oFor the site or in the intros that used to be on the home page of each forum. Ad, for all I know, the p9licy has changed.

Regardless, I don’t think it would fly, either with administration or membership, to have members randomly choosing to put up another member’s photo (via link, of course) for public group critique. I think there’s much more likely to be interest in and approval for something like that if the member is asked first if it’s ok to do so and if administration has agreed that such a forum is ok.

Here’s a link to the guidelines (they are difficult to find)

Forum Guidelines | Photo.net

To me, the only relevant point is No 5 which refers to posting one’s own photos.

Thanks for the link.

I suspect if we’re not to post our own photos to a forum thread for critique, it would then likely be frowned on to post another member’s photo for critique. If you or Michael want to try it, you’ll see soon enough what the reaction is and whether it flies. I made suggestions I think might be more generally agreeable.

What about creating a forum called "Members' Pick/" It could be moderated like any other, and a requirement for posting on this forum would be getting the pertinent member's permission? I suspect that a condition for another member to post on the forum would be to check a box next to an assurance that the subject member's permission was obtained. Just thinking. . .

Mebbe that’s why there is no POTW, the gallery is down

I don't think so. There has been no Photo of the Week since last Tuesday, the day it's customarily posted. The galleries have not been down that long. Earlier in the week, all the photos of the week were viewable in the gallery, but there was no new one for this week. This happens often enough. Either a photo is chosen and then deleted by the photographer so it disappears, or a photo on a given week is simply not chosen.

• Like 1

we have covered this before - a POTW is nominated and the photographer delete's it possibly because they don't want to be subjected to the critique that comes with it on occasion. If any of you wish to nominate a photo go ahead and do so.

we have covered this before - a POTW is nominated and the photographer delete's it possibly because they don't want to be subjected to the critique that comes with it on occasion. If any of you wish to nominate a photo go ahead and do so.

Glenn, we have covered it before and you, yourself, offered some possible solutions to the deletion problem. You just haven’t instituted a system to ensure there’s a POTW each week. This is not on us.

I don’t remember all the suggestions. Here are some thoughts . . .

I mentioned that for years in the past since, when we sign up we agree that one of our photos might be chosen to be POTW, the photos chosen were made non-deletable by the system. It was a system that worked. You were uncomfortable with that, thinking someone who doesn’t want their photo used should not have to. Fair enough. Contact them BEFORE posting their photo rather than simply doing it without asking and leaving it to chance whether or not they’ll delete it. Let them know that once they agree, they’ll be unable to delete.

Alternatively, set up some kind of system where people can submit photos for consideration to be POTW with the understanding they will be non-deletable if chosen. Or, allow for a checkbox upon submission of a photo to one’s gallery to indicate whether it’s OK to use this photo for POTW.

I nominate any photo by GordonJB, Uhooru, Supriyo, Robin Smith, Jane Cave, Leslie Reed, Sandy Vongries, Sanford, Tim Lookinbill, MMarcott, David Triplett, Harry Baker, or myself.

• Like 1

how? i tried and an unnamed mod deleted my post.

Norman. There may be a misunderstanding of terms. Glenn suggested nominating a photo. I think he means suggesting to him a photo to be made POTW, which he will see gets done through official channels. Though I don’t see how that solves the current problem, which is that people are deleting their photos once they’re chosen. It’s not a nomination problem. It’s a staying problem. If there is also a nomination problem, I hope Glenn will start with my list of photographers above. That can take care of things for a couple of months.

Anyway, what you did was start a POTW thread in Casual. When I clicked on your link I was taken to a Flickr Page, if I remember correctly. Since whoever deleted your post didn’t tell you why, I can only hazard a guess (it’s too bad we don’t know the actual reason) that it was because they felt that, in keeping with the spirit of the terms of use, photos should not be put up for critique in a regular forum post (though it only specifies we should not post one of our own photos for critique, the logical extension of that could be not to post someone else’s either). Or the fact that it linked to an outside site may have been the problem. Again, just guesses.