Missed opportunity because I shoot digital and not film...

m3rdpwr

So, here's my story.

I get a call from my brother and his good friend?s boss had 2 shooters that

couldn't make a shoot. My name was brought up.

Turns out they needed a shooter for tonight?s sox game opener for Dice K.

It was to take pics at the conference and it included pay and 2 tickets.

I'm thinking, "Wow, what an opportunity and I get paid and see the game!".

After some going back and forth, turns out I didn't qualify as I shoot digital.

They wanted someone who was going to shoot film. (Sorry, my Pentax K1000 just

wouldn't cut that one.)

Now, I know that there may be reasons for this including me not being able to

sneaking copy them to my Epson P2000 or whatever.

My questions are this.

I wouldn't want to miss another opportunity like I did as I may never get the

chance at something so anticipated as Dice K's sox home opener.

I shoot with a 20D and have an assortments of lenses.

I have a grip for my 20D that I've used twice and don't like it.

I have toyed with the idea of getting an EOS film camera.

That being said, I would like to get an EOS file camera to have.

I don't want to spend a ton, but would like something half decent that may have

the same feel and use as my 20D.

My sister had an EOS Rebel Film of some sort, but that seemed small and fragile.

Can anyone offer some advice on this?

Also, as a second question, has anyone done a game conference shoot and what

lens did they use for the conference?

I have the kit lens, 17-40L F4, 70-200L F4, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and a few 580

flashes.

Thanks for my reading my ramblings as I'm sure I forgot to mention something...

-Mario

Weird, I do hear it the other way round, I shoot for Motorcycle Racing and other motor sports events, and it is all digital. They do have a limit on the kit, which is either D200 nikons or Better and 30D Canon's and Better, I have seen them turn away 20D owners.

Most Magazines will only now take digital, they do not want the hassle of scanning in negatives and enlarging images.

Mario,

that seems really wierd, as I shoot for some online rugby news sites, they prefer digital, to get the images quicker.

that said, I shot with film for 9 years before going digital. I used Canon's Rebel XS, G, and 2000 cameras (all which I still have), and my Canon 100-400 USM IS lens (which I got in 2000, when still shooting film, but I now use with my digital 30D). I never thought of my rebels as really "fragile" - they took some great shots of many a rugby team over the years. Eaasy to transport with the rest of my gear - no complaints here.

just from my own personal experience.

Sheryl

"I don't want to spend a ton".

I don't know how much is that and most things are relative to your level of affordability. But I would recommend the EOS 1v or 3. The 1v is very fast as it has 45 points for auto focus. It is always a pleasure for me to use the 1v. Just my personal thoughts.

The EOS 3 is selling used for about what an Elan 7N is going for new. I have an Elan 7N and a 20D - they feel almost identical.

If you don't need on board flash, and want a better camera, the EOS 3 is the way to go. Try KEH - they list a EX condition EOS 3 for $310.00

That said, the 7N is not too shabby :)

Mario - As far as the technical stuff, bring your whole kit to a press conference. See what

you need, then set the bag aside and get to work. Venues vary considerably in lighting,

photog access, and subject distance. In addition, some "off-stage" areas are more

photogenic than others. Also, you'll want to provide your client with a variety of images.

But honestly, that's a secondary concern here. There's red flags a-flying all over this one.

If I understand the deal you were offered:

1. You shoot film and hand it over, sight unseen. Who pays for the film? Who pays for

processing? Don't assume that if you hand it over they pay processing. You may find that

cost deducted from your check. Also, when and how do you see the images and what

rights do you have for personal and/or portfolio use? How you acquire images for those

uses?

2. Why film? There is no technical or financial reason to shoot 35mm film anymore,

especially in a professional setting. Why is the client so out-of-step with the industry?

Makes me suspicious.

3. They're comping tix instead of paying cash. True, tix to a Sox home opener are high

demand, but comps are usually perks for business associates, jobs well-done, thank-

you's and the like. It's pretty weak to include comp tix in the official compenation

To summarize: you're taking on what appears to be a work-for-hire arrangement (all

rights revert to the client) for a would-be client who doesn't trust his photogs to live up to

their contractual obligations (hence the film, according to you), and is unwilling to pay

cash for services rendered. There may be legitimate reasons for these things, but be wary.

It kinda looks like a low-ball rights-grab to me. A client who hires you because he can

stack the deck in his favor will be unwilling to unstack that deck in the future. In other

words, taking a bad deal now won't lead to a good deal later on.

You're thinking of going out and dropping cash on equipment so that you can pick up

work that MAY come your way from this guy again? If you really see this as a serious

opportunity, talk to the client, see what his/her needs are, if he/she is willing to provide

reasonable rights and compensation and if (s)he's willing and able to hire you. After that

conversation, you'll be able to decide how much, if anything you want to lay out on this

venture.

My apologies if I sound unsupportive, but I think it may have been in your best interet that

this one passed you by. - B

No worries, Mario. I did not misread your post. If they want to comp tix to you, that's nice of

them, but it ends there. If they're packaging the tix as compensation, they should offer cash,

equivalent at least to face value, but more appropriately, street value on game day. -B

Mario,

Damn, you missed a hell of a game. Maybe they wanted film because they can ask for the negatives? Some people have a certain workflow and unfortunately, if you don't match their workflow, someone else does. If this was for a japanese entity, it might just be they are more comfortable with film. I work in the print industry and majority of their print shops still 10-12 year workflows including 10-12 year old software programs. It is what it is...

I have a 20D, and my film backups are an A2 & Elan. Both work very similar to the 20D.

What is interesting, is that it sounds like they wanted you for the "conference", not the game itself. They didn't by chance mention that they wanted Medium Format for publication purposes did they? That would make more sense.

Kin, my it was only mentioned to me that they wanted film.

I didn't even think about other film formats.

I think I'll hold off buying anything until I hear more info about what the full requirements were.

Thanks...

-Mario