Mirrorless pocketable camera suggestion

<p>Hello guys.<br />I' m interested in a pocketable mirrorless digital camera to pair with my Nikon D90, and to carry with me on my large pockets. The dimension is important, and I was happy with my Contax t2 in my film era. It' s a right size camera for my neeeds, cm 10,5 x 6,3 x 3,5, 230 gr. Good viewfinder, nice controls, incredible small and good prime lens. The perfect film street camera for my taste. So, I' d like to find a similar featured camera in digital version.<br />I need those kind of dimensions, raw format file, nice viewfinder, manual an A exposure controls, manual and auto focus, nice hi iso performance at least at 800, and a LARGE sensor.<br />In my searching, I found the Canon G1x to be a nice candidate. I prefere a short focal range or even a prime lens and very large aperture reather than a long zoom with small aperture. What do you think about this Canon G1x ? Any other suggestion ?<br />Thanks, Marco</p>

<p>I've got the G1x for about 4 months and I really like it. There is nothing to complain about except that it is obviously not a DSLR. For example, the viewfinder will not give you a 100% view. It only gives you a rough estimate of the view you will get, but we often trim and straighten our shots a little anyway. There is no need to get the perfect framing right away.</p>

<p>I accept the one fixed zoom lens solution because that is the only pocketable solution. With the SLRs, I don't have as much problem carrying some Nikon F5 as carrying a set of 5 lenses. So the small body solution is not attractive to me at all.</p>

<p>Without the mirror, I have no choice but to rely heavily on the LCD display and the flexible LCD of the G1x is very useful. I rarely hold the camera at arm length, it is better to hold it closer to my body and there is no need to use it at eye-level</p>

<p>The most important thing is the IQ which is a strong point of the G1x</p>

<p>People complain a lot about the slow lens F2.8-5.6, but have they compared the size of a 24-70mm F2.8 with the small 18-55mm F3.5-5.6? This is the thing we should accept to have a pocketable camera because we should not sacrifice other things like sensor size, or IQ. Besides, the lens of the G1x is a little slow but not a bad one at all. Remember what the max aperture of the Contax T2 you have is? The lens doesn't have to be big to give quality picture, but it must be big to be fast (unless it is for small sensors)</p>

<p>The AF is good and the quality of ISO 800 is good. The handling is good, buttons and dials are convenient. The battery life is surprisingly good , maybe because I don't have the habit of shooting randomly</p>

<p>To me your choice of the G1x is perfect</p>

<p>I own Canon G1x and I like it, but I think its optical viewfinder is pretty much useless, same for the whole G series (I used to have a G12). I suggest you try it before you buy one.<br>

The requirements for both viewfinder and pocketability are hard to meet... Have you considered an Olympus Pen with the external, electronic viewfinder? It has the benefit of interchangeable lens (plenty of quality lenses are available in Micro 4/3), with a pancake prime it's not that big.</p>

<p>We can resume these cameras in some groups :<br>

Canon g1x, cm 12x8x6,5. Fuji x100 cm 13x7,5x5,5. Fuji x10 cm 12x7x5,5. Fuji xe1 cm 13x7,5x4. These 4 cameras has oprical viwfinder.</p>

<p>Sony nex5 cm 11x6x4. Canon eos m cm 11x6,5x3. Samsung nx cm 11x6,5x4. These 3 cameras are not mirrorless and you have to carry on a lens too, in the other pocket...But the are very similar in dimensions, lens off, to the contax t2.</p>

<p>Sony rx100 cm 10x6x3,5.</p>

<p>I guess the second group has the best image quality, and the size is qiuet similar to contax t2. They ar not mirrorless, and you have to keep a lens in the other pocket. These cameras could be a nice compromise, IMHO.<br>

What do you suggest ?</p>

>>> and you have to keep a lens in the other pocket. These cameras could be a nice compromise, IMHO.

What do you suggest ?

If I am on the street shooting, and require a camera that comfortably fit in my pocket, there is no way

removing and then mounting a lens kept in my *other* pocket would be an acceptable solution. But that's just me.

That's why after a lot of research, including evaluating image quality, AF speed, ergonomics, etc, I ended up purchasing the RX100....

www.citysnaps.net

<blockquote>

<p>I think I shoud focus my choice to Fuji ex1 or Sony NEx 5.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Might as well add in the 16mp µ4/3 cameras while you're at it. The Olympus E-PM2, even with the add on optical finder is pretty small and light.</p>

<p>You do realize that all the above mentioned cameras have better image quality than your D90, don't you?</p>

<p>If you can accept a slightly larger camera-and-lens combination (about 12 x 7 x 2.6 cm, see http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-6/3) and an electronic viewfinder (that most people say is one of the best), then one good option should be the Sony NEX-6, with either the Sony NEX 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS pancake zoom or one of the smaller primes. The available small primes include the Sony 16mm f/2.8, the Sony 20mm f/2.8, and the Sigma 30mm f/2.8. These lenses would be roughly equivalent to a 35mm camera with a 25-77mm zoom, or a prime of 25, 31, or 46mm, respectively. (There are of course other zoom and prime lenses that are native NEX E-mount, but they are bigger.)</p>

<p>Another vote to at least check out the Sony RX100. I used to have a Canon S95 and the Sony just totally kicks arse on it in most every respect. I no longer feel under-equipped when I leave my DSLR at home. Regardless, there are many fine choices out there now and it is hard to make a really bad choice.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Another vote to at least check out the Sony RX100. ... the Sony just totally kicks arse on it in most every respect. I no longer feel under-equipped when I leave my DSLR at home.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Totally</strong> how I feel about it. (In addition to my Canon DSLR) I have a Nex 5 (which I use mostly with legacy glass and NB does <em>not</em> have an OVF/EVF) and even the body (as marvellously compact as it is) is bulky compared to the RX100. Now add a lens ...<br /><br>

I agree with the poster who said that pocketability and optical viewfinder are hard to combine (in a digital camera: my old favourite was the Minox 35GT, which is even smaller than the RX100). Yes, it would be nice to have an OVF on the RX100, but in return for having a high-quality camera that I really can take everywhere - even in an inside suit pocket - it is worth the compromise.<br>

Since I bought the RX100, use of my DSLR has tailed right off. Much to my wife's relief ...</p>