Mirrorless for use with Canon FD lens

gary_d1

Hello All. Longtime member, but very infrequent poster here.

I own a Canon F1-N, and had a few Canon FD Lens that I purchased over the years. (Mostly mid-grade primes – 35-105, 24, 28, 50). I recently acquired quite a few more FD Lens, namely a 400MM 1: 4.5, a 80-200 1:4 L, and a 17MM 1:4.

I also own an old Canon Rebel XT with a 28-105.

I was already planning on upgrading to a newer Digital camera, and with the recent acquisition of more Canon FD lens, decided to go with a mirror-less Camera, as I understand they are better at adapting old non AF lens, and in particular, the SONY A7 line, with the in body IS.

I am looking at the Sony A7R II , with the 28-70MM kit lens.

Most of my shooting is landscape/still, and with owning a lot of FD lens, believe the 28-70MM Sony lens would suffice for those times where I need AF. Most of my shooting would be with the Canon FD lens. That being said, would you folks recommend any other camera besides the Sony A7 line. I like Canon, but again, from what I read, the Sony A7 is ideally suited for older (FD) lens…..

I appreciate the help. Thanks….

Both Canon and Nikon make similar full frame mirrorless cameras, with the latest Canon R5/R6 models now with IBIS. That said, there is no other option that provides 40+ Mp at the pricepoint of the Sony A7RII. My only real concern is that the 28-70 kit lens, while light and inexpensive, is not well regarded optically, and the more expensive Zeiss 24-70 has shown disappointing test results. In the Sony E mount world, the 24-105 F4 is lightest/least expensive optically well regarded standard zoom option.

I have found these lens reviews to be reasonably reliable: Sony Alpha (Full Format) Lens Tests

My opinion is based solely on published reviews, so perhaps others who have used the 28-70 or the Zeiss 24-70 may have a different perspective. With respect to the FD/Sony adaptor, if you have an FD breech lock lenses, check to see that the adaptor is compatible with those lenses. Also, I think an adaptor that can open the aperture wide open (at the touch of a button or turn of a knob) for focusing would be helpful. Viewing at the taking aperture through an EVF should be fine and you would also set exposure at the taking aperture.

Best of luck with this.

Thanks Ken. I have the bayonet mount (think that is what its called) on my F1-N (new).. so I believe the FotodioX mount should be good.

Yes. I read that the supplied 28 -70 mm kit lens is not the greatest, but it was actually cheaper to get the kit (camera, lens, memory card, etc) than without.

So maybe I'll splurge. I'm a "slightly" advanced amateur, so this should last for some times...

I appreciate your reply Ken.

Tnx....

All FD cameras can mount either the older FD breech lock lenses (with the silver ring on the mount), and the newer FD bayonet lenses. I had both types when I used an F-1 (old). If you are looking at this adaptor: FotodioX Canon FD Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Pro Lens Mount Adapter, the supplied photos show a breech lock FD lens attached to it. So I guess you will be fine with your collection of FD lenses.

Today is "NCD"... Fedex just dropped it off. I went with the Sony A7rii. The in-body IS really appealed to me, as most of my shooting will be with older Canon FD lens.

The specs seem great as well, even for a 2015 model year camera. The camera should be "good enough" for this amature for years to come... (I still was using my Rebel XT !! ).

Thanks all...

Edited by gary_d|1

Unless you're a fan of the 'old glass' look - which to me means aberrations galore and plenty of flare - then you might be disappointed.

You've also got to pick your adapters with care IME. I have a Sony a7r4, and some of my 'old' lenses give quite bad reflections off the inside of a Nikon-to-E adapter. I tried flocking a shiny area inside of the adapter, which reduced the flare, but didn't kill it completely.

• Like 1

I'm not ruling out buying Sony native glass by any means, just figured I'd give the Sony a try with my collection of FD lens...

As an aside. There was a member that posted a lot in the Canon FD section back 4 years ago... when I was a frequent visitor of this site. He used FD glass on (I believe) a Sony NEX. His images were spectacular (at least when viewing on this site). So we'll see.... I did buy a PhotodioX adapter... seemed to have good reviews with the E-body to FD mount.

If you are going to a new camera why shackle yourself to legacy lenses, particularly ones that were never "classics" in their own time?

Just get new lenses made for the new camera with all the now-available bells and whistles.

Ken, I just looked at the review for the Sony E mount 24-105 F4, and it looks like a nice lens, especially for the price point.

I definately don't want to start collecting Sony lens's like back in my FD days, but if I were to pick up a few Sony lens, that looks like a good one to have in the kit....

Considering the fact that you can get some SLR lenses for single digit prices, it makes sense if you are fine with manual focusing. You will see a lot of film crews using re-housed SLR lenses. The Leica Rs are highly desired but they're not cheap. Canon FDs are still fairly cheap, and Contax CYs are not bad value, depending on the aperture you want.