Mirrorless Camera Discussion

JDMvW

I am a big fan of Roger Cicala at LensRentals. I suggest that if your sense of humor is anything like mine, you will enjoy

Roger’s Rants: My Canon/Nikon Mirrorless Camera Unfanboy Opinion

gems include:

I refuse to play fanboy wars, which are typically nasty discussions between people who are already committed to a brand and people who have never tried the brand.

and

But these first-generation cameras feature-for-feature probably aren’t as good as Sony’s multiple current offerings. Both will be more competitive in a year or two, although I suspect Sony’s cameras will have some advantages still. They’ll certainly be good enough for job 1, which is to slow the migration away from their own brand over to Sony.

My own opinion is eventually (3-5 years) mirrorless will be a significant portion of both Nikon and Canon’s business and the lenses, more than the cameras, will be the driving force. The early lens releases probably give us a hint of how each manufacturer plans to go forward.

Besides, there's information of substance as well.

• Like 3

I suppose that is a fair comment. When the A7 and A7r were first released, they were not supposed to be complete replacements for DSLRs, and RF lenses didn't work properly with them. However, adapted SLR lenses sure did, and those cameras were great within their limits. Note that there were very few native lenses available for them, although the whole point, according to a lot of users, was the ability to adapt SLR and medium format lenses.

Sony had nobody to compete with, and yet gave us cameras that could be used for almost anything except niche applications like sport. You really had to be a bit of a masochist to use an A7 for football. But even today the A7 is a heck of a camera. Good resolution, good sensor, very good DR (better than a lot of modern DSLRs, in fact).

The A7s came a bit later, and did offer something that no camera could at the time. While not quite enough camera for high end commercial work, the A7s could definitely replace DSLRs for news gathering, as well as being very well suited to portraiture, weddings and macro.

Given that, the new mirrorless cameras by Canon and Nikon can be seen in that way. The problem for me is that they are neither the only models of their kind nor the best of their kind. I believe in competition, and so even if I don't care for these new cameras, someone else might.

Further, I believe that smaller sensors can be better suited to sport. There is no point being stuck with a paradigm that doesn't necessarily enable unfettered progress in digital cameras and lenses. I'd pick the Fuji's X-T3 over almost any FF35 camera today - that's how good technology has progressed. If I want a bigger sensor, that's what MFD is for.

There is one little thing: isn't it funny how single card slots are acceptable now?:rolleyes: