"Mirror Hang-Up " on OMs-why?

jack_lo_..._t_o

I have 3 OM-2s, all will do this on occasion: the mirror locks up and

the exposure continues until I turn the speed dial to B, using the

little lever provided for that purpose. Exposure ruined. Usually will

happen in very low light, most often in the Auto position, but

yesterday it happened in daylight. One camera did it an awful lot,,

but my repair guy was able to fix that. It went back to doing it

occasionally. Does anyone know what this is?

Concerning the batteries: the OM-4 and OM-2S (and presumably the OM-3) all are known to suffer from battery drain problems - not all cameras, but a proportion of these models. I have an OM-4T, which presumably <i>doesn't</i> have this problem - nor, presumably, do the OM-4Ti and OM-3Ti - but I <i>always</i> store the camera with the shutter speed dial set to "<b>B</b>" - this prevents battery drain through the shutter release being pressed, and activating the light meter, when the camera's in your bag, for example. This is perhaps the main reason why I prefer the OM-1 and OM-2 for general walking-around photography. The OM-4 is a great camera, but I miss the simple on/off switch! John, I'm not suggesting that the battery problem is what you've got, but it's something to consider...

Actually my first OM-2 I had ate batteries like pac-man. On the second (or third)repair the technician replaced the offending parts and the problem didn't recurr. [My daughter "borrowed" that one for photo school 8 years ago, still has it.] But none of the three I presently own does that. As a result of my previous experiences however, it's the first thing I look for when there's a problem.

An update, [for whomever might visit this slow-developing forum]: it WAS the batteries, even though the battery check light couldn't tell. I had just bought a sheet of no-namebatteries for peanuts online, and every single one of them reads 2.94 volts on my meter. The Varta in my other OMs read 3.14;and 3.18. Since I put a Varta in this one it's been firing away. Looks like I'm out $5.99.

Thanks for the info, John!

<p>

<i>"... for whomever might visit this slow-developing forum..."</i> Well, as I write this, there are 3 posts in the <a href="/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=Digital%20Cameras&topic_id=1841"><b>Digital Camera forum</b></a> with "Olympus" appearing in their titles. I guess, if people decide to post elsewhere...