Miranda vs Convert to BW

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these two methods for converting D70

files to BW. I've been scanning TX for awhile and printing with BO

and UT7 with a 2200. I get the TX look I like. Now that I've added

D70 files to the mix I need more than channel mixer. The look I want

isn't coming through. Anyone?

I've tried most of the readily available Photoshop actions (latest one: John Paul Caponigro and Robb Carr) including the Miranda B&W conversion. and I found that I still needed to use Levels and Curves in Photoshop.

YMMV.

BTW, the Miranda action is just a bunch of channel mixer settings.

Russell Preston Brown has to me the best method of all, and much better preview ability than using Channels. Set it up as an action, run it, click on the second Saturation layer and adjust Hue to watch the differing B&W affects. It's like having every taken the photo with every B&W filter that exists and in every micro-subtle rendition of the filter too. None better for converting color. And free. Just follow the directions to set up your own action.

I remembered I already had Browns' action in my actions folder. I have used it but I'm looking for more than just conversion and I'm not interested in toning.

I downloaded the 30 trail of Convert to BW Pro. It offers more than Browns' conversion. A simple slider for whatever filter color to shift tones of grey, more sliders for exposure, "print" time and contrast ona scale like MG filters in a wet darkroom.

You can also choose from 5 different film types to mimick their tonal interpretations as well. All that goes way past a BW conversion, Browns conversions are very nice, and free.