Mir & Rebuilt N26M

<p>I have not been posting any pictures for awhile. Health problems inhibited me from taking the usual walks; and, a cataract operation took away another few weeks. Now with the IOL, I can see better and possibly assess how mediocre my pictures are. :).<br>

I got a lot of old lenses in parts [all classified, by the seller, to be non-working]. The glass elements were good, generally. I rebuilt most of them successfully by interchanging different components. Here is one of an Industar 26M put together, thusly. Had to do a lot of work with shims in several places [there are some 4 joints where you may need shims to make the lens focus] by trial and error. Finally got the lens to push the RF lever correctly and read the scale values too. Collimation work without an optical bench is quite tedious.<br>

Took this out, last week, with a Mir body I had for some test shots at random. The light was dull through the Monsoon haze. So, I am not sure if the lens is on the softer side, slightly. I do like soft lenses for soft lighting conditions, though.<br>

Here are some sample pictures, with no particular theme.</p><div>00atpI-498871984.jpg.e0f69535a2047c9665c2e072bc47b0ac.jpg</div>

<p>The Mir seems to have been made along with the Zorki 4 between 1957 and 1962. About 150,000 plus copies were reported to have been made. Early versions did not have a self-timer. Basically it was a Zorki 4 or 3C without the slower clock work speeds. For this reason, Maizenberg wrote that the Mir is a more reliable camera than the Zorki 4. it has speeds B, 1/30 to 1/500 sec plus a dot mark on the dial for 1/1000sec.</p><div>00atpJ-498872084.jpg.5b170685c00cbe2b09c874e8ef2b2fab.jpg</div>

<p>SP,<br>

I wish I had your gift for restoration. I am so heavy handed with cameras that I have simply stopped working them. I am going to have to find you a cheap Japanese LTM body, so you can tinker with it.</p>

<p>BTW thanks again for another wonderful photo essay.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>Very nice photo essay SP. It's amazing that your landscape is changing so much, I guess funding must be plentiful in your neck of the woods.</p>

<p>I understand what you mean by the tedious work on the lenses, I have a industar 22 that is off on infinity and I do not even bother to mess with it because of the crazy tolerances built in.</p>

<p>"mediocre"? Never!</p>

<p>Congratulations on being on the mend, and on the successful rebuild of your eyes and the camera.<br /><br /><br>

I had the cataract operation a couple of years ago. It's amazing to actually see, isn't it?</p>

<p>I had been missing both your walks and your fixes of the old Soviet gems and appreciate this very much. I hadn't seen the Mir version camera before. Interesting.</p>

<p>SP, I got a laugh out of the fact that you had the Industar(s) open, mucking about exchanging lens elements, just after the doctors had you open, mucking about exchanging lens elements! We ought to name you the 'Industar 99' or similar. I hope it's allowable to find humo(u)r in the situation as long as the IOL procedure went well and you're on the mend as appears to be the case. Best wishes for continued recovery, many more walks, and many more lens rebuilds. (<em>By </em>you, not on you!)<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Dave</strong>, my surgeon was a highly qualified lady. And she had a great sense of humour. So it was a very pleasant experience. I got to learn something about organic lenses, cylindrical defects and corrective elastic surgery too. By the way, they also use the yellow filter [or tint] on the IOL to increase contrast perception. I believe they learned that from the photo industry! sp.</p>