Minox vs Lomo

ginon_lee

Hello'

I'm writing from New Zealand. I've finally got my Minox GT repaired

by a repair shop in NZ. I've got the parts from Dag Camera Parts.

But still, the pictures taken indoor are all underexposed.

I have a Lomo LC-A,(a brand new one) and it takes photos perfectly

(correct exposure) indoor.(no flash)

Has anyone used a Lomo before?

Why Lomo can do but Minox can't?

Is this a typical Minox behaviour in indoor shots? They need flash?

I had a Lomo LC something before they became trendy, and it worked pretty well. It doesn't hold a candle to the Minox 35GT though - few 35mm cameras will.

You say that indoor shots are underexposed? What about outdoors. What speed film are you using? If you are indoors and don't want to use flash, you will need a minimum of 400 speed, maybe quicker.

Without loading a film, and with the back off the camera, see if the shutter speed is changing when you point the camera at different scenes - it could be that it is sticking on the flash sync speed (there is a switch or something on the flash shoe IIRC). Make sure that aperture settings are working too.

Other things:

Have you got the ISO dial set correctly on the bottom? Is it consistent - if so, try setting the ISO switch to a slower film speed.

For testing purposes, you are best off using some slide film (develop only). Take along a trusted light meter or other camera with meter and check the reading. Shoot the same scene with the ISO dial set to the film speed and note the approx shutter speed and aperture, then -1 stop, -2 stop, -3 stop, +1 stop etc.

Paul

(Whose Minox 35GT performed flawlessy last time we were back home in NZ)

Yes. Lomo has it's own good point, a special characteristic.

And I do kind of agree with the fact that the repair shop here

doesn't really know Minox. Not capable of repairing Lomo.

I'll try to show you several bad examples. They are all scanned from Neg. Underexposed ones and the underexposed oned pushed hard to be corrected.

Remember! These are only the few survived(?) decent examples.

Most of the times, they are almost blank.

It really depends on the person. From my point of view, Lomo has it's own good points, a special characteristic. And I do kind of agree with the fact that the repair shop here doesn't really know Minox. Not capable of repairing Minox. I'll try to show you several bad examples. They are all scanned from Neg.. Underexposed ones and the underexposed oned pushed hard to be corrected. Remember! These are only the "few" survived(?) decent examples. Most of the time, they are almost blank.(About 2/3 of a roll blank)

Sorry I'm tired guys. But please spend a little time to view my pix.

Thanks

Hi Ginon, I have a Kiev 35A which is similar to a Minox EL, I'm not sure about the exact differences or similarities, but I usually set my Kiev 2 stops below. When I'm shooting 400ASA, I set the film speed to 100ASA on the camera (2 stops down) and it exposes dark scenes very well. Have you tried something like that on your Minox?

-Brian

Brian,

Yes. I've tried that and it works. But it still means that Minox 35

might have defect of not being able to sense the light indoor or my Minox needs a repair.

Since I was a kid I always wanted to own a Minox 35. Now I can, kind of, afford to have one. But the secondhand ones don't seem to be perfect. Or all Minox 35s are like mine????

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I own a few Minox, 1 GL and 2 GT, I do have to agreed that these some 20 years old Minox 35s do give under exposed photos.

Here are how photos came out from my cameras under reasonable lighting condition:

The GL : Spot on with no problem outdoor and indoor.

my first GT : consistently little under-exposed outdoor and indoor (about 1 stop)

my 2nd GT: Un-predictable and Unacceptably under-exposed (about 1-3 stops)

I have read recently on some old review and testing article on the Minox EL that the test result shows that it under-exposes photos by 1/2 stop under all lighting condition.

If you want a copy of that article, please e-mail me. It cost me money to obtain from online database but I am willing to share with you free of charge, so do ask.

From my experience the Minox will under-expose more under low light condition. I recently noticed that it might be due to the fact that the Minox light meter system only handle under ISO 100 from EV7 upwards. This mean that if you use the camera at say EV7 condition. The metering system might not work correctly. but I am not sure if this is correct, if there are expert around please do correct me if I am wrong better still confirm my understand is correct. :-)

Back to the topic Lomo Vs Minox, I am sure if the Minox is in full and true working order , that is exposing correctly or at with my 1st GT, within one stop error the result is much better than that from the Lomo except you like you photos to have dark corners and high contrast with not much details.

And from the above posted photos, they are even worst than the photos from my worst Minox GT. It will need a re-repair or it will need to be declaredfor display only.