Minox Digital Leica M3

joshua_dollins

I was also interested in getting one of these Minox Leica M3 digitals.

But I question if these things are actually any better than a nicely packaged $50 CMOS based funcam.

If you are looking for a review, and wasn't aware that this is a fixed focus with no flash. IOW it is featureless, no zoom, no flash, no macro....no nothing as far as features, and basically useless with bad

light. And uses a bettery that was more common to film cameras. Not common batteries like AA. And only 32MB built-in memory...no expansion. Thats what peaks my interest though.

When Minox/Leica first started in the digital market, they OEMed below average Pentax and very average Fuji, wondering if its more of the same with maybe getting CMOS stuff from the same generic bin as others, when they first started

Cheap CMOS can take reasonably good daytime pics, but MANY of them are of very poor quality. (Mustek, Polaroid etc etc) I toyed around with a handful of these. Some cheapies are not bad for outdoor daytime. But some are very poor.

The only way to tell is by examining FULL SIZE unedited samples from these. But when I googled samples for these Minox M3, there are very few, and ALL of them are downsized to like half a megapizel or like 640x480., and some edited.

Minox lists all of them , but only provides samples of the 3 year old 2.1 model....and they are downsized. Not a good thing for sampling for quality of the camera. A $30 cmos camera /webacm can look just as good when images are downsized.

$200 is really not alot for mainstream 4MP camera....but this is not for everyone. These are just a conversation, collecting piece, that or may not be usable for some, depending.

Anyone have full size samples?

The Minox Digital Leica M3 is found with 1.3, 2/2.1, 3 and 4Mp versions. The 1.3 and 2.1 are a true resolution but the others are obtain by software.

There is an optional flash unit which makes the camera a real conversational piece but is not in keeping of a tiny pocketable camera to carry with you.

The 3 and 4 Mp cameras have better results, as should be expected. The 1.3 is perhaps better for general use than the 2.1, particularly with the flash in doors.

Very similar to the UFO style DD1 and neither as good as the DD100/DD200 which are larger and look like a small modern compact digital camera.

No production figures have been released. They have been sold in wooden boxes, clam shell style like the 8x11 classic range, in wooden boxes with a sliding transparent 'glass' top and a metal tin also with a transparent lid. The latter two styles where for the airline duty free business but have then been release to dealers/shops.

Much larger than the 8x11 film classics, it looses some of the appeal. The CR2 battery is expensive and soon used up. There have been doubts about the use of the rechargable version of the battery.

There is no memory card and you need to down load to a PC.

1.3Mp version can be found for below 50EUR and some dealers have new stocks at below 100EURO

2.1Mp can be found for 50-100EURO

3Mp seems rare and have sold for below 100EURO

4Mp version goes for 150USD/150EUR

Gerald

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know more about the USB connection? Is the Minox (older versions too) a USB

mass storage device which can be browsed on any Mac or PC, or does it require special

software to grab the pictures? I use a Mac, but the Mac support listed on the site is limited to

Mac OS 9, and it is not clear if this is just the webcam driver, or the photo copying as well.

Thanks for any answers.

• 1 year later...
They sell the 5.0 mp on KLM flights.... I am in love with the look but I am quite upset about the non flash .... This could be a major downsize as camera is not usable in all condition. If anyone has some more pictures taken with it, Id be very interested.... Thanx

• 12 years later...