Minos 35 ML - light meter problem?

luuk_van_der_heiden

<p>Hi,<br>

I wonder if someone could give me a clue on what's going on with my Minox 35 ML. It's in very good condition but developed a metering fault, in the sense that it seems to register much more light than there actually is; also, the light meter only marginally reacts to changes in aperture setting. Changes in ISO setting do affect shutter speed: an ISO setting of 25 will give a shutter speed of 30 or slower, but it's impossible to get speeds >1 second, even at small aperture (16) and very low light (covering the lens with my hand). Batteries are fine and there is absolutely no visible damage to the lens, the light sensor, the ND filter that covers the light sensor when you change aperture, or otherwise.<br>

However, some time ago I removed the flash from the camera while the flash and the camera were still on, and this fired the flash. Could this have caused such a fault?<br>

Would appreciate any help with this! It's a shame because the camera is in such wonderful shape otherwise. <br>

Regards, <br>

Luuk </p>

<p>"However, some time ago I removed the flash from the camera while the flash an<br>

d the camera were still on, and this fired the flash. Could this have caused such a fault?"<br>

<br>

This may be the cause of meter fault.When the flash is attached, the circuit timing is set automatically<br>

at 1/125 sec. Your action may cause the a short circuit, and the shutter speed mighty be frozen at around<br>

1/125. <br>

Use a brush the clean the contact may help, otherwise you need to send to DAG</p>

<p>Yes, there is a chance that the flashes high voltage surge could have caused this problem, but maybe not. Still, with the prices so low on the big auction site it wouldn't make sense getting yours repaired. I'd just shop for another ML and contact the seller to make sure you are getting a good working camera. I have bought several Minox 35's off eBay and always make sure the seller pulls the back off and trips the shutter to make sure the shutter blades are working. I can usually fix the problem if they are not, but it's a hassle and time consuming.</p>

Hi, I don't think the flash switch inside the hot show is the probleem. A sticky switch would cause the camera to behave as

if the flash were fitted, and that's not the case. Damaged electronics due to voltage surge may be more likely....

I second John's idea of juist getting another ML. In fact I just did (at 20 euros) and it seems to be in perfect working order,

but I wouldnt mind having two ML's in good shape!

<p>Luuk,<br>

I have several EL's, a GT that works fine, but the meter needle is wacky, one Touring and the ML. The Touring and ML are the most trouble-free and if I pick up another Minox it will be an MB or ML. That being said, the sharpest-best picture taker of all of them is a beat up EL. I've had to clean the magnet contacts twice on it since the shutter wouldn't open, but the end results are so good it's worth the time and effort.</p>