Minolta XG9

dominique_bouix

I had a XG 9 minolta camera with a lot of lenses.

It is out of order, and my son wishes to use the lenses and buy an

used minolta camera. I have no idea, which one are better : XG9,

X300, XG-M or other.

If someone could tell me what camera is the best in non autofocus

minolta reflex ...

Well, there are certain Minolta models that are 'classics' such as the XD-11. I would recommend a X-700 or a X-570. They feature Aperture Priority Mode as well as Manual. THe x-700 has a P mode that many people never use. There are some good all-manual cameras like the ones of SRT-series, but they are heavier. I think an X-570 would be my choice.

Dominique,

Take a look at www.rokkorfiles.com - Antony has done an excellent job describing the (most common) manual Minolta cameras, with pictures and scans of Minolta literature.<BR>

Myself, I just sold xome X-700s and an X-570 to get XD-11 bodies. I would highly recommend the XD-11, even though it's a little more expensive, the build quality is tops. I don't think this body would limit anything your son wanted to do.<BR>

Jed

'The best' would be an XM-Motor, but expect to pay about US$1,500 for one in good condition, and they are not that easy to be found.

Kidding aside, I second the recommendation to look at the www.rokkorfiles.com web site for a good overview of what's available. X-570 or X-500 - same camera, different names for different countries - would be the most full-featured choice, and tends to be cheaper than an X-700, which arguably is a slightly inferior camera, but much more plentiful on the second hand market. There is certainly no need to avoid the X-700 if price and condition are right. My personal favorite - is the XD-7 or XD-11 - again same camera, different names for different countries - because of a more classic feel. I am not alone in that assessment. The three cameras you mention (XG9, X300, XG-M) are nearly identical except for minor differences in features. If buying locally is your preference, and you have to choose between those three, I'd make a choice priced on condition and price.

Geoff - good luck finding a new X-700! It has been discontinued many years ago as well. Anybody who buys into the manual focus Minolta system should be aware that it's a discontinued system. On the one hand that means cheap lenses and cameras are available on the second hand market, on the other hand that means no newly developed items are likely to become available, and there is no support from the manufacturer. There are plenty of good workshops out there, however, that service manual focus Minolta bodies and lenses.

You will never get an answer as to which body is the best. Everybody has their favorite. You would not be in bad shape with an XD-11,7 or 5. The x-570 and X-700 have TTL flash and are newer than the XD series. There are tons of the X-700 cameras out there. Make sure it is a Japan version. They all take the S76 battery that is available in any store. All of these cameras have silicon center weighted metering. Since they are all used cameras the trick is finding a body that works perfectly. E-bay is basically a junk sale. Any used camera should be serviced before putting it to use. Look to KEH camera as a possible place to purchase.

I purchased an xgm a while back. VERY similar to the xg9, but meters in manual mode. The going rate on the bay seems to be about $40 (or less) for these; mine was like $32. Lacks TTL flash, if you care, but has pretty much anything you would want for general use.

That's what I use is an XGM. It's one of the best deals out there but I did not mention it before because it would not fall into anybodies best camera list. It has CDS metering, no TTL flash but it does have the manual metering and over and under exposure compenstation. In A mode it will not fire if overexposed. I take it everywhere and anywhere I want because it is so inexpensive I do not worry about damage. It is the best of the XG line, however the x-570,700,XD11,7,5 are better cameras.

It depends if you want cheap or slightly more expensive. I recommend the xd-11 or the

significantly less expensive xd-5. The xd series has the best meter of them all a which is

silicon based and a 2 fps motor drive, however it does not have TTL flash metering so the

best flashes you are limited to are the 320x or 360px. Flash sync is 1/90 The only

differnce between the xd-11 and xd-5 is the safe film idicator, so if you need to spend

less get the xd-5 because it is cheaper than then xd-11.

I personally don't like the x-700 or x-570 becuase the flash sync is 1/60. The best

features they have are the interchangeable screens and TTL metering, These are all things

I don't need, so I just use the much cheaper xg-m as a backup. All three of these use the

3.5fps MD-1 winder.

So in order to save some money and used that savings for a camera tune up get a xd-5 or

an xg-m, unless you need TTL flash metering. But most likley you won't. If you take

anything away from this only consider buying an: XD-11, XD, XD-5, XD-7, XG-M, X-500,

X-570, X-9 or X-700. Anything but these models really stink unless you are a collector. I

like the XE series, but I wouldnot recomend it.