Minolta X570 or X700?

mark_stephan2

<p>I'm thinking about buying a manual focus Minolta to go with a 50 f2 MD lens that was given to me in new in the box condition. Of the two bodies listed which is the better body? The X570 offers full manual mode + A and the X700 offers P, A and a limited manual mode as I understand it. Is the Program mode of the X700 something I should consider? When it comes to durabiltiy is one better than the other?</p>

<p>The 570 has no P mode, but a full info finder in manual. The 700 has P (which only words with MD lenses, by the way) but in manual it shows you the shutter speed the meter wants you to use but not the one the dial is set to - so you have to check the finder to get the reading then look away to set the shutter then go back to the finder to shoot. Aside from that they're the same camera with only really minor changes. Same excellent focus screen, same TTL flash system (which was a new thing at the time). Since many advanced shooters don't use P but do use manual, a lot of people prefer the 570, but the 700 is better for snapshooters because in P you don't need to touch aperture or shutter.</p>

<p>The X-700 was Minolta's flagship model for many years. I had 2 of them. The X-570 was a lower cost model but does have a few features that the X-700 does not. See Wikipedia articles for the differences.<br>

Is Program mode important? That is a personal question. I hardly every use it. I learned on a camera that only had Aperture priority so that is what is most natural to me.</p>

<p>The difference between the X-700 and the X-570 basically comes down to whether it is more important for you to have program mode or a fully-usable manual mode. For aperture priority mode either camera is just fine, but only the X-700 has program mode. In manual mode, the X-570 has one strong advantage, which is its ability to show both the recommended and selected shutter speeds in the viewfinder (the X-700 shows only the recommended speed).</p>

<p>If I want to shoot in manual mode, I'd rather use an older model like the XE-7, XK, or SRT-201, so I don't have much use for an X-570. I prefer the X-700.</p>

If you want auto plus manual the old XE series are rugged and offer accurate metering. Manual only treat yourself to any

of the SRT series. If you go for an XE or XD, the shutter can work mechanically at X-sync speed if batteries fail. If batteries fail in X700/570/370 etc or any XG series the camera is as dead as a can of spam until batteries are replaced.

<p>Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your opinions. I just won an eBay auction for a X-570 from a seller (Titterington) that services cameras. I've used him in the past to cla my Canon A-1 and Nikon FA so I feel comfortable that I'm getting a clean, fully functional camera. Next on my wish list is something wide like a 28-70 or 28-85 or a 24/28 prime.</p>

<p>Congrats, Mark. The 28-85 f3.5-4.5 Minolta MD is a great lens (was expensive when new) that unless you need the speed of a prime, will not disaappoint. The 28-70 f3.5-4.8 MD was made by Cosina for Minolta, and while it is more compact and less expensive, it doesn't perform as well at wider apertures. Minolta sort of appoligizes for the 28-70 in the instruction manual by warning about vignetting at 28mm at f3.5. Stopped down a bit, it isn't bad, but there are better choices. Another great zoom from the same period as the 28-85 is the Minolta 35-135 f3.5-4.5 MD. Also expensive when new, but now quite a bargain. You could pair this one with a 24mm f2.8 Minolta prime and get good coverage.<br>

Another possibility, since you mention having a Canon A-1 and Nikon FA is to consider a Tamron Adaptall zoom in the range you're considering. Tamron offered a 28-80 f3.5-4.2 as well as a 28-70 f3.5-4.5 that are bargain priced. Then just pick up Adaptall mounts to go with the camera mounts you wish to use.</p>

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
I had the choice between a 700 and a 500 after reading the reviews I went for the 500 because of more informative viewfinder and only one easily accessible Capacitor. Sure enough within a week it died, I replaced the capacitor with an equivalent tantalum one, I think that will be a permanent fix.

I'm thinking about buying a manual focus Minolta to go with a 50 f2 MD lens that was given to me in new in the box condition.

I think that's a bit like buying a new shed because you found an old and unused padlock Mark.

Most camera makers' 50mm lenses perform pretty much identically, especially on undemanding film.

And..... ooops, I see this is one of those needlessly resurrected zombie threads.

Why do people do that?