minolta x-700 shutter

Hi, I am looking at buying a Minolta x-700. My question is about the shutter tension release. If the camera was in long storage, and the tension is not released from the shutter, (not sure how to operate this yet) will this effect the camera, shutter speed? Is there a way to test the shutter speed? I am new here and have a little collection of vintage cameras. I will have lots of questions in the feture. thanks dan

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

It's usually not recommended to store mechanical cameras with tension on the shutter. The shutter on the Minolta is electronically controlled, and the owner's manual doesn't specifically warn against storing the camera this way, though. The manual is available below (small donation requested):

Minolta X-700 instruction manual, Minolta X-700 Mode D'Emploi, user manual, free PFD camera manuals

If you have a CRT screen (like an old computer monitor or TV set) you can use it to test shutter speeds of 1/60 sec. or faster with reasonable accuracy:

You already own a shutter tester

Some Minolta X-series camera have issues with capacitor failure, which can result in erratic shutter behavior.

The X-700 is an extremely common camera on the used market. It should be fairly easy to find a seller who will guarantee the camera's proper function and offer a return if there's a problem with it.

Incidentally, if you are at all interested in manual photography, the X570 is a better platform than the X700. True, it doesn't have a Program mode, but so what. The X570's shutter speeds and aperture are fully coupled with its meter. With the X700, only the aperture is coupled to the meter. That is, when changing the shutter speed, it doesn't affect the meter readout. You must set the shutter speed at whatever the meter suggests. This system works with the X700, but it isn't as convenient as the method employed by the X570.