minolta x-700 lenses

bfk4

I recently bought a nikon d80(which I love) after years of waiting for minolta

to come out with a good dslr camera so I could use my 8 lenses from my x700.

Now that I have this camera I thought about selling the x700 but they are

basically worthless. Now my daughter wants to get into photography and I rarely

get a chance to use my d80. I thought I might buy her a minolta maxxum 5D if my

lenses were compatible with it. They are mc and md lenses none are autofocus.

Even if the auto focus didn't work I still think it would be worth doing. But I

just cant find out whether they will mount. Any thoughts would help. Thanks, Ben

Biff

having manual focus lenses is a good way to step into photography i think. it can help you concentrate more so, rather than just snap away like a P&S camera. For your X-700 lenses to worth on a digital camera you would have to buy an Olympus DSLR. Some are pretty cheap now and not bad performers at all and certainly a good start into photography. They wont mount a minolta/sony DSLR without an adapter that will decrease quality and increase focal length. With the Olympus adapter there is no increase in focal length and there is no glass in there to reduce the quality. However, all the lenses will have a x2 focal length. So All you lenses will be pretty telephoto... It may or may not be worth your effort. I suspect you might be better off abandoning the idea of using your rokkor lenses on a DSRL for your daughter.

Though, if you are not using these lenses, could i buy them off you? What lenses do you have exactly?

Hope that helps,

Rich

Rich,

I agree that manual focus is a good way for her to start. I might just take your advice,and abandon the idea. She doesnt need a cadillac to start with.Just enough camera to get her to leave my D80 alone,lol. I have a 24mm rokkor, 28mm rokkor-sg,50mm minolta md,sigma 35-105mm macro zoom,Osawa mc 80-205mm macro zoom, Soligor 90-230mm zoom,2x teleconverter and a lens to mount the camera to a telescope. If I decide to sell, I will probably just post the camera and all on ebay. But thank you for the offer. Im not sure I will part with it no matter which way I decide to go.I grew up on this camera and I am kind of a sentimental fool :) Biff

Biff,

It is probably not worthwhile to try to use your old Minolta MC/MD lenses on a digital camera. The only adapter for Minolta or Sony DSLRs involves a lens which increases magnification, which is already going to be increased due to the smaller sensor. The adapter for 4/3rds system (Olympus) is better but the sensor alone will still cause a 24mm wide angle to be more like a normal lens, and I'm sure there would be plenty of other compromises. Your lenses would be much better on the X700, which would be a much better camera for learning the basics than most digitals.

If you ever sell the Minolta gear, list the 24mm lens separately -- it's worth much more than the rest.

<P>I've got some old Minolta lenses that are seeing very little use, and when I've got the spare cash I'm going to get an Olympus dSLR (probably a 510) and the Cameraquest adapter. My MD 28mm 2.8 will be my standard lens, the MC 58mm 1.4 will be my fast portrait lens, my MC 100mm 2.5 will be my fast short tele, and my 250mm Reflex Rokkor will be my long tele. The Tamron 70-150 3.5 will be a handy mid tele zoom (not a Minolta but almost as good!).</P><P>These lenses are still good by today's standards but the resale value is so pitifully low, I can't bring myself to part with them.</P>

The crop factor of the Olympus DSLR is 50%, so:

28mm f/2.8 = 56mm f/2.8

58mm f/1.4 = 116mm f/1.4 (wow!)

100mm f/2.5 - 200mm f/2.5 (nice!)

250mm f/5.6 = 500mm f/5.6 (nice again!)

70-150mm f/3.5 = 140-300mm f/3.5 (not bad!)

No wide angle, but then, there's the Olympus Zuiko 8mm f/3.5 E-ED Digital Fish-Eye Lens for the E Digital SLR System. $669.95 http://www.adorama.com/