Minolta vs Olympus. Which one?

hayden_taylor

<p>Hi guys,<br /><br />I'm looking to buy my first 35mm camera. However am having trouble picking the best one suited for me!<br />As i'm only really getting into it, I want to start off with a more automatic camera as I can (e.g. Automatic exposure).<br /><br />I have come down to a few cameras which are available, but I just can't decide and wouldn't mind some others 2 cents in it :)<br /><br />The cameras are:<br />1. Olympus OM-10<br />2. Minolta XG-M<br />3. Minolta XG-1<br />4. Minolta XG-2<br /><br />Any other suggestions will be very appreciated! I just want the most easiest camera for me at first, then I can branch out when I get the hang of it more!<br /><br />Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>I've been using a XG-M since last summer, along with an Olympus OM2N for the last 3 years, which I think are fairly comparable. Personally I'd skip the OM-10 and go for a 2N, which is a better made camera. I do like the overall construction of both camera bodies, and the lenses for each are generally very good. The viewfinder of the Minolta, IMHO, is slightly better than that of the Oly, at least for me with glasses... but again, both are very good. The Oly has interchangeable focusing screens, a definite advantage for one having special needs (extreme low light shooting, long telephoto or macro lenses). Minolta's macro lenses are usually more expensive and harder to find than Oly's, but both have good reputations. As far as automation goes...auto is auto, both have it and deliver well exposed shots. I think, in the end, your decision should probably center around which one feels better in your hand and more intuitive to use.</p>

Obviously the Minolta X-700 if you can find one since it has program, aperture priority, and metered manual. If you want Olympus and programmed automation there's the OM-2S and the OM-PC. About macro lenses, the Olympus 50mm f3.5 is more compact than the Minolta 50mm f3.5 macro. Both are good.

If you choice is limited to the list, I'd say go for the XG-M.

<p>In my travels recently it seems as if lenses for both systems are turning up fairly cheaply. I think a choice would be governed mostly by what you can find, since both cameras are good. I have a few old Minoltas and like them a lot. It's pretty easy to find lenses for them, they function nicely, and the meters are very accurate. X-700's can be a little problematic owing to capacitor failure in early ones, but a good one is a good one, and they work well. The lower X's in the series, such as the 370, work very well too, despite the lack of features.</p>

<p>Not really important, but a feature I've found only works well with Minoltas is that owing to viewfinder image size, if you are using a 50 mm. lens, you can sight through one without closing an eye. The image in the camera and the non camera eye match so well that the camera appears transparent. Trivial but amusing. </p>

<p><em><strong>Hayden</strong></em>, sorry to state this, but your list of four is deficient on many counts.<br /> Those units are all experiencing major internal age issues. (Disintegrating plastic, bad capacitors and pressure flex connectors)<br /> So if you get one of these "cheapies", you'll most likely if you get used to handling/using them, eventually upon a failure (if you insist on the same model), you'll need to decide on either a "Ebay" working replacement, or a labor intensive expensive repair to the body. Besides, why go for the lesser models during this "who needs film" environment? The higher grade units aren't much higher in price !</p>

<p>I'm with <em><strong>Stephen L.</strong> </em>in regards to considering an Olympus OM-2n (one of my all time favorites). It's a professional grade camera with a <strong>mechanism that was designed for longevity</strong> (After-all, with no small feat to achieve, it was designed for a 5FPS motor drive). The Olympus lenses are also better built than the later Minolta plastic "amature" units.</p>

<p>Still, if you wish to stay with Minolta, consider instead the high quality XE7 or even the XD-11 models. These are still bargains and much more reliable than the "cheapies".<br /> <strong>BTW:</strong> The more feature laden X700, shares the internal construction and quality of the XG-M "cheapie"...</p>

<p>Do NOT buy an OM-10. Get an OM-2 or OM-2n instead. I have used OM cameras since 1976 & I have 3 OM-2 bodies (and 4 OM-1 bodies as well). The OM-2 can still be serviced - how about the Minoltas?</p>

<p>www.zuiko.com is the place to send your OM gear for service. Here's what they say about the OM-10:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If you are thinking of buying an OM body, I suggest sidestepping the OM-10. It was / is an entry level model, low priced and Olympus cut corners on design and build quality. Plastic top, PLASTIC shutter curtain shafts! Also, it is plagued with "Oily magnet syndrome" which can be a never ending problem. This causes gross over-exosure on the first frame after the camera has set unused for a few minutes/days/weeks. Used OM-10 bodies are low priced for a reason. OM-10 over serial number 2,000,000 have a different shutter design and are sometimes "better". Models okay to buy (imo): featuring high end state of the art at the time: all-metal OM-1, 1N, 2, 2N, 2S, 3, 3Ti, 4, 4T, 4Ti."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi everyone! Thanks for all the feedback, it's insanely helpful!<br /><br />I do have some Olympus OM-10's available to me, however not many OM-2's at the price I'm looking for.<br /><br />Is the Om-10 good enough for me being a quality or should I not worry about it?<br /><br />Thanks!</p>

<p>While it's true that the Minolta X 700 and 370 and all are rather plasticky, and the X-370 low on features, it works and handles well and can make very good pictures. If you took up the generous offer above you'd have a good start, a camera that can do many things well and get your creative juices flowing while you wait for the best opportunity to get the best alternatives. </p>

I'll second the X-700, even though I have a nice OM-2 that worked great for a little while before jamming up. I prefer the Minolta viewfinder and shutter, but I think the Zuico lenses might be a bit better. If you didn't want auto stuff, I'd recommend the Minolta SRT line - solid and still cheap.

<p>Last year I picked up a Minolta X700 and X570. Both camera's feature automation with the X700 offering Program Mode. I really like my Minolta's and the best part is the low cost. I've picked up a few lenses on eBay for less than $25 per lens for Minolta MD lenses. I've never owned a Olympus OM body but they seem to be scarce while the Minolta's are abundant.</p>

<p>I second Mike's suggestion of the Minolta XE or XD series. The XE-7 is one of the nicest SLRs ever, in my opinion, and just exudes quality. They range in price on eBay from $45-$250, with the norm being somewhere in the $60-$125 range. I bought one from KEH in bargain-condition for $45 and even though it shows brassing, it's fully operational and was fully serviced. It's a beautiful camera that I personally like better than the X-700, better than any other Minolta actually except for the XD-11 maybe. The XE-5 is almost the same camera minus the aperture window and 1 or 2 other features. <strong>Les's</strong> suggestion of the Pentax ME-Super is also a great suggestion. It's also a superb camera.</p>

<p>I'd say a Minolta over an Olympus OM10 as well. I shoot mainly Pentax these days but I am a big fan of Minolta as well. Not to say anything against Olympus! </p>

<p>Out of all the major camera manufacturers I come across Minolta equipment most frequently and it's always at an insanely low price. For instance, this summer I bought a Minolta MD 50mm 1.7 lens for $3.00 at a garage sale. You'll be able to find a larger selection of Minolta lenses for better prices than you will Olympus, and that's where you should be spending most of the money anyway. Get one of the XG bodies for cheap, and keep an eye out for an XD or SRT body (or both!) just in case something <em>does</em> happen to your first one. </p>

<p>As far as what people are saying about the build quality of the XG-series bodies, I can only say that in my experience I've never had a problem so far. I have my mom's XG-A that was bought in the early '80s as well as an X-700, both of which work perfectly today. If you have the opportunity to buy locally than that is the best bet, you can make sure for yourself that all functions are working well, and if the camera was taken care of you shouldn't have any problems. </p>