Minolta Talker Point and Shoot

david_m

Back when my family ran a camera store we stocked the Talker. Sold about half a dozen or so. The lens is probably a four element four group Tessar-clone used by sooo many camera makers at that time. Sorry I don't have any leftover manuals. I tried one out when we sold them and it was a decent enough picture taker. You can probably do okay even without a manual.

What is the little red button for underneath the red 'jewel' on front? It sats ST underneath it. Is it a self-timer button? Also, what is the weird little thing on the bottom above where it says JAPAN? It has an R and an arrow, is that something to do with rewinding?

Hi

The Minolta talker is essentially the same as the Minolta AF-S camera.

Hence the manual for this should suffice! Of course this camera cannot speak!

My mum bought the QD version 20 years ago instead of the talker.It was quite an expensive camera then(around 150 GBP I believe!)

I can confirm it has a 4-element lense.

Here are two Japanese sites.The first has info on the AFS and the second has the specs of the talker.

1.)http://www3.kiy.jp/~daddy/AF-S/AF-S.html

2.)http://www.kitamura.co.jp/museum/05_cmp/min_af_s_talkman.html

If you run them through the Google or Altavista url translator you should get a passable translation!

I hope this helps!

A few more things!

About the little red button - It is the selftimer. You press it down and then depress the shutter button.A little red light above this beeps together with a audible "beep".The r button is the rewind button.If I can remember right you have to move the switch and the film should rewind.I am not sure if you have to depress the shutter button again,though!

I was looking for more inormation about the camera when I came across an Ebay auction for this camera.It stated if you could adjust the position of the switch which turned the speech mode off and on you could get the messages in Japanese!

I acquired a broken Talker camera this week(shutter does not fire) and tried adjusting the position of the switch between off and on.Guess what it worked!

I got the warning messages in Japanese!

It seems that the female voice was supposed to be that of the daughter of the owner of Minolta Company at the time!

Concerning the meaning of the word"toggle" from dictionary.net

toggle

noun

1: any instruction that works first one way and then the other; it turns something on the first time it is used and then turns it off the next time

2: a hinged switch that can assume either of two positions [syn: toggle switch, on-off switch]

3: a wooden peg or pin inserted into the eye at the end of rope in order to fasten it to something

verb

1: provide with a toggle or toggles

2: fasten with, or as if with, a toggle

3: release by a toggle switch, of a bomb from an airplane

Source: WordNet ® 1.7

That doesn't seem to work on mine. I'll try again when the family recovers from hearing "Load film!" twenty times in a row...

And toggle is moving between two points! Putting the switch in between the two points is...well, not toggling. ;-)

But thanks for the explanation. I hope I find the right position...

• 4 months later...
This camera has some looong exposure capability. I got mine in the original Minolta Box at a sidewalk sale for 5 bucks. The voice is a riot. Give it to somebody to use and watch their face as it starts telling them what to do!!! My first roll was done in very low lighting with no flash. The film quality was horrible. the exposure quality was just fine. Really a good little camera.

• 1 year later...

I have the manual for the talker. If interested I could scan and send. My talker works great, but I lost the lens cap. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Did someone say they had one that didn't work? Maybe the lens cap can be sold? I don't use this camera since I've had a digital, but I keep it in a plastic bag to keep the dust from the lens. Also, mine doesn't speak in Japanese. I went to the two websites that were mentioned in a post and the pictures of the cameras there were different from mine; maybe a different model than mine has the toggle to Japanese feature.

Jo M

• 4 months later...

Dear JO MELMER

I heard you have maual for Minolta talker, I've bought a cheap one at thrift store with $3.00, it 's still working good, but lens cap missing like your. so I need the manual. Can you scan the manual to my email ta_tuanhai@yahoo.com. Thank you very much

Tuanhai

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I bought the Minolta Talker AF today at the thrift store. I know this thread is nearing 4 years old but I was hoping someone could send me a copy of the manual for this camera. I just only bought the camera itself so I'm a bit clueless but after playing around with it, I've been able to figure out self-timer, flash, how to load the camera, etc. I was just wondering also if someone could answer: how do I rewind the film so I can unload it without it getting exposed so I can put in a new film. I'm going to Costa Rica in couple days and won't have access to a film store to get it developed until I'm back to the US. Let me know. Thanks</p>

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I bought the Minolta Talker AF today at the thrift store. I know this thread is nearing 4 years old but I was hoping someone could send me a copy of the manual for this camera. I just only bought the camera itself so I'm a bit clueless but after playing around with it, I've been able to figure out self-timer, flash, how to load the camera, etc. I was just wondering also if someone could answer: how do I rewind the film so I can unload it without it getting exposed so I can put in a new film. I'm going to Costa Rica in couple days and won't have access to a film store to get it developed until I'm back to the US. Let me know. Thanks</p>

• 1 month later...