hi there everyone, this is my first time on this site, and i need as

much help as everyone can give me. i just purchased a used Minolta

SRT 102, i don't know much about this camera, just what info i found

on this site and on a few others, seems to be a good buy, i am a

complete novice when it comes to manual cameras, and this is my first

attempt at learning. i guess i am looking for any kind of info anyone

can provide on this camera(accessories needed, usage of, and any

problems found with this model) i don't have a flash unit yet,and if

anyone knows the model name for that, that would be a great help.

thank you greatly.

Marjolaine

Hi Marjolaine,

The SRT-102 is indeed a great camera. Many pros used SRT series cameras in the 70s, and what you have is the most fully featured model. It was called SRT-102 in the North American market, while pretty much the same camera was sold as SRT-303 in Europe and SRT-Super in Asia. I am saying pretty much the same camera because in the SRT series Minolta changed features without necessary changing the model name, as well as changing the model name without necessarily changing features. To give an example, one SRT-102 can have mirror lockup while the next one doesn't, but a late series SRT-102 might have exactly the same features as an early SRT-202 (it's successor).

If you don't have the user manual already, you can download it for free from the Minolta USA web site at:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/main/MinoltaUSA/MUSAContent/CPG/CPG_SupportCenter/CPGSupport_Manual.

Select 'Film Cameras' and 'Maxxum 200 202'. An SRT is obviously not a Maxxum, but how are the guys at Minolta supposed to know that after so many years ;-)

Other good sites on the SRT series are:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/SRT%20Series.htm

http://www.pcisys.net/~rlsnpjs/minolta/srt.html

and

http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/Minolta-XM/files/Arcticle%20SR-T%20%26%20XM-Motor.pdf

Enjoy your new, old camera!

The SRT-102 is a great camera. I wish mine wasn't broken. ;-(

If you can't take a basic photography course, I recommend getting a good book on

technique. That's how I learned. I used (and enjoyed) a book by John Hedgecoe.

You should see if your SRT's meter is working properly. The camera can't use modern

batteries; you may have to have it professionally recalibrated to use them, if a previous

owner hasn't done this already.

Also watch that the film is properly loaded once you've closed the back. I've found that

tricky with my 102. As you move the film advance, you should see the rewind knob

turning.

I wouldn't bother getting much in the way of accessories. The body, whatever lens you've

got, film, and practice. That's all you need. ;-)

Fuji films are all pretty good and readily available. High Definition 400 is Kodak's best film

that's commonly available.

Have fun and good luck. ;-)

If you don't already have a user's manual try 'www.lensinc.net' click on 'users manuals' @ sidebar and you can download a free SRT102 manual, 4.5mb in adobe. Like Mr. Mueller said a good site is 'rokkorfiles' for a great overview on these cameras, available lenses and flash; and again has links to manuals downloads.

The SR-T's are tanks: well-developed, solidly-made, reliable and easily maintained. Your 1973 SR-T was a descendant of Minolta's lines of SLRs going back to 1958: that's 15 years of development, and they pretty well worked out any bugs. As for any problems, the only real concern is power supply to the meter. On the SR-T's the only component needing battery power is the meter, but the battery originally specified is no longer made. There is much discussion on different forums as to how to power this meter. Try here in earlier discussions, and also in 'yahoogroups' on the 'manualminolta' and 'manualminoltafree' forums.

If you're looking for flashes in the Minolta 'Auto Electroflash' product line, look for a '128', '132X', '200X', '280' or even '320X'. The 102 has a single pin hot shoe and these earlier flashes (the 128 & 132X especially) work well with this camera (later Minolta flashes designated with a 'PX' are meant for programmable or auto exposure cameras). There is also much discussion on various forums about flash.

• 5 years later...
<p>Found this thread belatedly while looking for some info on Minolta. If anyone is interested B&H now carries a replacement (with the correct voltage) for the original mercury battery for these fine cameras. Mine still is working well, in fact after my initial foray into digital (the last 8 years) I've gone back to shooting film alongside it. These SRT's seemed to really be well made, and ended up with mine, after buying a couple of other much more automatic exposure, manual focus Minoltas, and finding out that automatic has it's limits. B&H Used and some others carry the Minolta 132x for a very reasonable price. I just got a brand new one for 9.95 USD and it's a bounce flash with a GN of I think 100ft! They don't recycle quickly from what I've read, but then again the 102 isn't a machine gun, like digital cameras can be. Which in a way is good, it lets a person think. A great camera to learn with, and a great one to keep on learning with.</p>