Minolta Rokkor-X 250mm mirror - why so valuable?

Mattman944

<p>I bought this lens NEW in the 80s for $139, sold it 5 years ago for $250. Recent online sales have been $900+! Most other Minolta equipment from this era is dirt cheap.</p>

<p>I know this is all about supply and demand. They didn't sell very many so it is somewhat "rare" (low supply). But where is the demand? I don't know anyone personally that still uses Minolta manual focus cameras. There are some here on photo.net, but you guys seem to be mostly nostalgic collectors looking for good deals.</p>

<p>Is there some unusual use for this lens that I am unaware of? Are there collectors who will pay any price to have a complete collection of Minolta MC/MD/RF lenses? Are some people in love with the donut Bokeh?</p>

<p>About two years ago I started to acquire Minolta MD gear; a few XD11s, various SRT models, an XE7, plus lenses. At first it was just the basics: a 50, 28, 135, a long zoom, you get the idea. Then I start picking off the more esoteric, in-demand, or otherwise hard-to-find lenses and accessories, such as the 24mm VFC. I have never been interested in mirror lenses, otherwise I might have this on my list as well. </p>

<p>If it was made, I've probably gotta have it. But I'm not a collector so much as I am an idiot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But I'm not a collector so much as I am an idiot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As they (you know who) say, recognizing that you have the problem is the first step.</p>

<p>I frankly don't understand the higher prices actually paid (as opposed to asking prices, a key distinction) for many 250-300mm short mirror lenses. The Minolta longer mirror lenses tend to go for about $200 in their infrequent eBay sales, but people really are paying $800 or so for the 250mm.</p>

<p>Perhaps it's just the rarity and collector interest, but I suppose they can be used on 4/3 cameras. They're not easily adaptable to most other camera lines like the EOS, I think.</p>

<p>Also, it was in production for fewer years than the 500 and 800mm Rokkors. Having owned one for many years and having tried other short mirror lenses it was a good performing lens without the excessive center hot spot that plagued most 300mm and under mirror optics. I also used to use mine with a 1.5X TC for an effective 375mm tele with good results. Ironically, when Minolta discontinued this lens it was heavily discounted to Minolta dealers (such as my family's store). I picked mine up for around 75 USD. We even got the special 3 or more dealer net for only ordering one.<br>

With limited production and many enthusiast no doubt hanging on to these lenses, I can see why the price has gone up so much.</p>

<p>Yea, I just seen and auction for another Rokkor 250 mirror lens close at over a thousand dollars. I have been told that it's the fact that the lens is super compact and can be used with regular four thirds and micro four thirds, Samsung NX mount and Sony NEX mount cameras that make it desirable. Also I been told it can be converted to Canon quit easily. I am starting to Doubt the collector theory because i am also noticing other mirror lenses in this focal length (mostly 300mm ones) going for quite a high price too. And yes the four lenses that I have seen over the past year all sold over 800 dollars. They were third party lenses and i think they were all t mount, though i only specifically remember 2 of them being in T-mount. Also i defiantly remember two of them being a 300mm focal length lens. I am guessing that they are just nice and light compact telephoto lenses to use with Digital cameras. Because the 500mm and up mirror lens alternative are considerably cheaper, and i am assuming bulkier?</p>

<p>Well, i think one reason for the 250mm mirror lens to be so expensive now is that it can be used on mirrorless camera such as m4/3 or NEX.<br>

Imagine on m4/3 it's just like 500mm with f/5.6, but the size is relatively small and thus portable!</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Oh one other thing to mention in regards to your question of "where is the demand?"<br>

The Mirror lenses as well as any Minolta mount lens can be easily converted to be used on aany Canon EOS (EF mount), from the APS-C to FF sensor camera as-well.<br>

So we have Users of micro four-thirds cameras as-well as standard four thirds mount users; the Sony Nex and Samsung NX camera users along with any Canon DSLR user that might be vying for a lens like it. And since NO one is making any lenses like those light weight beauties in that focal length anymore they are truing to the used market on an already rare lens.<br>

If Sony was smart they would take out and dust off the designs on that old lens along with the fast 1000mm mirror lens and have some factory make them again, exactly the same way as before but with new mounts. a T mount would be ideal but if by some miracle they were ever to produce that lens again, they would do so in A-mount with focus conformation chips or most likely auto focus. Which is unfortunate.<br>

The people at Samyang should make a Vivitar branded lens like it, but they wont, and if they did the quality would not be the same. But I'm sure many people would buy it none the less.</p>