Minolta Motor Drive 1

<p>Not sure this classifies as a true classic, but here goes anyway. I recentltly recieved a really beautiful MinoltaX-700 for free, from an old friend. Camera only needed batteries, and works like new. Now me, being me, I immediately started looking for some add ons. I found the "Motor Drive 1" online for a good price, and ordered one. It arrived yesterday, I put fresh batteries in it, and installed it on the camera. The only problem is that no matter what I do, it won't seem to work. It will advance one frame, and cock the shutter when I move the film advance about 5 degrees past the 30 degree stand off, but that's it. Does the camera need to have film loaded, or did I get a lemon? Thanks. </p>

<p>I don't think film is needed for a dry run. The problem could be in the motor drive or in the camera's drive coupling (on base plate). This was a common repair on X-series Minoltas (more so on X370) according to the Minolta rep that served our camera shop during the 1980's. Most likely it's the motor drive, though, as if the winder coupling is damaged the camera sometimes will not function properly. I recall sending off a couple of X-370's that had never been attached to winder or motor, but the repair invoice stated replace drive coupling.</p>

Make sure the contacts on the drive & camera are clean. A little alcohol helps. Have you tried all the switch positions? If I

recall. There is off, single shot, low speed and high speed. Try them all, if you have not. Also, switch on and try the

"portrait" shutter button.

BTW, I assume you are using the shutter button on the MD1, right? Verify that your finger touching the MD1 shutter

buttons activates the meter in the camera.