Minolta Maxxum 7D Back-Focus ?

f._timothy_knapik

Hello. I am seriously considering purchasing a Minolta Maxxum 7D w/

28-75mm f/2.8 from Adorama. I have done some research on this

camera and most speak very favorable about the camera.

Including "official" reviews. Most complaints are regarding back-

focus problems. As I am thinking of using this camera for weddings,

it has me concerned. Can anyone with experience with this camera

comment on this issue? Any insight to this camera will be

appreciated. Thank you.

Francis

This problem has been addressed as far as I know. It was corrected early on and you should have no problem with this. My 7D has never given me trouble in this area. As usual with internet reviews and comments, those who suffer problems make the most noise and those who are happy don't comment! Make sure, if you do buy the camera you update the firmware from the minolta site if you need to.

I second that. Have had my 7D (D7?) for over a year now, and no issues whatsoever. Like the previous person, I too feel that the people who have the problem speak up, the others, dont.

As an aside, I read about this one person who did have an issue with a 1 mm backfocus problem (that is less than the thickness of a quarter dollar coin). Not a big deal, I thought, until it turned out that all he did was macros, and the distance, if one can call it that, made all the difference betweween focusing on the wings of a butterfly or some fresh air close by.

But if you are doing weddings, 1 mm is not likely to make a significant difference, I hope.

Get the sucker and a stack of lenses, you wont regret it one bit.

I have a ton of minoltas - from the XD7 all the way to the D7 and a bunch of 7s along the way, and have never had anything to complain about.

Shirish

I have not had any issues with my 7D. Like most camera's bugs are found out early usually and fixed as manufacturing conitnues.

With the 7D camera's around now and updated firmware. You can still get a lemon, but this is no more or less than any other maker.

The 7D is probably one of the best buys on the market at the moment, in some cases half the price of when it was released.

I've only had mine for a few months but have had no problems. I even tested mine and focus seems to be spot on. As some of the others have stated, it's a quality camera. I too own a bunch of Minolta's starting with the 1960's era SR-7 and almost every (soon it will be all) 7 series up to the 7D. They are all fine camera's in thier own right.