Minolta Maxxum 7000

Andy Collins

<p>There has been a lot of interest in the Minolta Maxxum 7000 on this forum of late. To be honest, I really didn't know much about the camera prior to receiving a very nice copy of one from Ralf, although I did know its significance in the history of AF cameras. I also figured that the camera's performance would be positively glacial in terms of AF speed and response, so I've never really been interested in exploring one prior to receiving one as a gift. Let me say that my impression of the camera has changed dramatically. I won't ramble on too much about the camera since<strong> JDM</strong> did an excellent write-up on it recently, but suffice it to say that in use I found it to be very comfortable in the hand and surprisingly full-featured. While the AF is certainly much slower than what we've become accustomed to, it was still efficient and got the job done, albeit a bit loudly as was typical of any AF camera from the '80s. I used the 35-80mm f/4 zoom initially, but later added a 24-85mm zoom after purchasing a Minolta Maxxum 7 (<em>awesome</em> camera, but that's another post!) and a couple of lenses to use with it. The Minolta lenses are impressive to me, amazingly sharp with great color. I took the 7000 with me back and forth to work for a period of a couple of weeks or so and grabbed an assortment of shots along the way. I certainly know a lot more about this camera now, and it's definitely a keeper!</p><div>00YNrL-339149584.jpg.145f3941170f41740aecbae1102728be.jpg</div>

<p>Shot #3--As has been the case everywhere, the weather here has just been ridiculous; frigid one week with highs of 4 degrees, a foot of snow the next week, and 60 degrees the following week. This was during one of those snowstorms that seemed to stretch across most of the country. This is looking into some of our woods from the county road.</p><div>00YNrd-339153684.jpg.3b9f3258dc135d6dca725d395b63300e.jpg</div>

Great shots, Andy. Back in the 80's I owned a Maxxum 5000 (poor cousin to 7000) which shared same AF system, but

only offered program or manual exposure mode. I used to shoot high school football at night with mine using the 135mm

f2.8 tele. I used TMAX 3200 film so often I got 1/500 sec@ f2.8. Most of the time I got correct focus.

Now for that 7000 you need a lens from its time era like the 35-70 f4, 28-85 f3.5-4.5, or the 35-105 f3.5-4.5. Those lenses

had more metal than the later "i" series and are really cheap. I once owned the 28-85 and it was incredible. I inherited my

dad's 35-105 and find it excellent as well.

Thanks for sharing.

<p>Great stuff, <strong>Andy</strong>. The Maxxum 7000 is certainly an impressive beast and the great Minolta glass has stood you in good stead. Lovely light in your images, especially "Wild Skies" and "Whose Woods.." (I'm sure he did not mind you standing there, to watch his woods fill up with snow...) Thanks for a beautiful post.</p>

<p><strong>Mike</strong>--Thanks! Not knowing the camera very well, I don't know which lenses are from its time. I would like to get some, maybe a couple, that were sold when the camera was.</p>

<p><strong>Rick</strong>--Thank you for the kind words (and the poetic continuation). I do enjoy the camera quite a bit, more than I ever thought I would.</p>

<p><strong>Les</strong>--Prices for these have a <em>looong</em> way to go before they're inflated, <em>but that's not a bad idea</em>...Thanks so much for the compliments. I'm really glad you liked the pictures.</p>

<p>Andy - loved the photos; what a great display of the season that is on its last few weeks. I have not loved this winter, but your photos with the 7000, make me question my sentiment toward this season. You have managed to find beauty in its harsh conditions and add such mood that make one pause and reflect.</p>

<p>I loved the wild skies and the sunset in the south field. Definitely display worthy, at home or a nice art gallery. Well done.</p>

<p><strong>Mike</strong>--Thanks for the info regarding the lens. That's actually a lens I <em>do</em> know about.</p>

<p><strong>Ralf</strong>--Thank you for such kind compliments! As you well know, it has been a drab, gray winter and finding photo-worthy subjects is a real challenge for me. These were just a few out of what seemed a pile of uninspiring pictures, but I guess that one meaningful picture out of several is worth the effort. This camera is a lot of fun! The results from it and the lens are pretty amazing, which makes me appreciate Minolta's engineering even more than I already do. Even though their spirit is carried on somewhat by Sony, I wish they were still around and still innovating. Oh well...</p>

<p><strong>JDM</strong>--Thank <em>you</em> for getting the 7000 ball rolling! It's a fun camera to use though to be honest, I find myself saying that about a lot of cameras, it seems. Part of my camera sickness, I guess...</p>

<p><strong>Louis</strong>--You should definitely enter the "mind of Minolta" at your first opportunity. From the SR-T models to the Maxxum 7, all are representative of the innovative thinking at Minolta throughout their existence. The lenses are top-notch too!</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>I own a few Minolta 7000's and since focussing gets harder for me (wearing glasses), this camera tend to replace my Leicaflex more often. The autofocus and exposure system works very well.<br>

I own several lenses and almost all are good performers. I even use the Sony lenses on my camera. This makes the Minolta system compatible in all of his parts for more than 25 years.<br>

Autofocus is fast enough exept for sports events.<br>

The prices for used film camera's are low. Look for a decent and not abused camera and you will probably find one for 40 Euro or less. Look for a camera with a clean LCD on top because these display's start to get black after 25 years.<br>

You will probably have to replace the internal back-up battery but that gets done in no time with a battery cost of 5 Euro.<br>

As "normal" lens I recommend the 50 f 1,7 Minolta or the Sony 50 f 1,4. The Sony 28 mm is OK, one can find cheap zoom lenses like the 35-70 f 4 of the 28-105,.... .<br>

A real user camera with good ergonomics.</p>

<p>I own a few Minolta 7000's and since focussing gets harder for me (wearing glasses), this camera tend to replace my Leicaflex more often. The autofocus and exposure system works very well.<br>

I own several lenses and almost all are good performers. I even use the Sony lenses on my camera. This makes the Minolta system compatible in all of his parts for more than 25 years.<br>

Autofocus is fast enough exept for sports events.<br>

The prices for used film camera's are low. Look for a decent and not abused camera and you will probably find one for 40 Euro or less. Look for a camera with a clean LCD on top because these display's start to get black after 25 years.<br>

You will probably have to replace the internal back-up battery but that gets done in no time with a battery cost of 5 Euro.<br>

As "normal" lens I recommend the 50 f 1,7 Minolta or the Sony 50 f 1,4. The Sony 28 mm is OK, one can find cheap zoom lenses like the 35-70 f 4 of the 28-105,.... .<br>

A real user camera with good ergonomics.</p>