Minolta Maxxum 7000 the early ‘crossed-x’ version

JDMvW

<p>This is by way of a return to the scene of the crime.</p>

<p><strong>Minolta Maxxum 7000 -- the early ‘crossed-x’ version</strong><br /><br /><em><strong>1985</strong></em><br /><em><strong>Kadlubek Nr. MIN1050</strong> </em><br /><br /><br>

It can be, and often has been, argued that this was the first truly successful automatic focus camera.<br />Virtually overnight it made the jury-rigged AF systems of many other manufacturers look and feel obsolete.<br /><br />My report on it at http://www.photo.net/modern-film-cameras-forum/00YGy4 back in 2011 when I was just starting my trek down the history of the AF camera still pretty much sums up my experience.<br /><br />To repeat two elements about this triumph that turned it into a sort of disaster for Minolta:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How they got cute and used a crossed-X on "Maxxum" that looked just like that used by Exxon. How Exxon slapped them down.<br />How Honeywell got them for patent infringement on the AF system to the tune of 127.6 million US dollars. (~283 million in 2014 $)<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Anyhow, although the camera is by no means rare, the crossed-x variant is a little more scarce. Plus my camera store has gone out of business and I got it with an AF Kalimar 75-200mm lens for about 1.5 pizzas.<br /><br />Here is the original ad for the first version:<br /><br /></p><div>00cotw-551015684.jpg.999ae8dc462a9df94371a6e1ff51553d.jpg</div>

<p>And here is the camera with my kawaii ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawaii ) Maxxum 35-80mm f/4-5.6. I put on my BH70T battery holder (2CR5 lithium) in place of the BH70S (4 AAA batteries) it came with. Everything snapped to life. Both lenses worked fine once I remembered the AF/M slide switch on the front. <br /><br />I have to say, these old “automatic” cameras took a lot more trouble to get started up than the newer cameras do.</p><div>00cotx-551015784.jpg.55ec8197c1f5fdda7210526222b13e55.jpg</div>

<p>There’s nothing particularly cute about it, but here is the Kalimar AF 75-200 f/4.5 on the camera.</p>

<p>I’ve actually had pretty good luck with Kalimar simple, long primes, but this is the first AF lens by them I’ve ever used. I was curious about it as well. Of course, the AF is in the camera, not the lens.<br /><br /></p><div>00cotz-551015984.jpg.4bf0a7bdc9c1a023f7547474b320833a.jpg</div>

<p>How did the camera work, now that I’ve had chances to look at most of its competitors?<br /><br />Here’s a typical snapshot- a neighbor won the ‘coveted’ “Bright Spot” city awards.<br>

Perhaps this splash of vegetation and color livened up my otherwise kind of slummy area.</p>

<p>With good verticals in the image, the AF did OK on the 35-80mm lens.<br /><br /></p><div>00cou1-551016084.jpg.68100a3ee35d867bac5390eb0e5c3a4f.jpg</div>

<p>And although it was rainy and dark, could I skip my trademark iconic water tower?<br>

I tried to get the sensor (in the center of the viewfinder) over the tower legs, but the telephone pole in the foreground definitely won out. This was taken with the Kalimar 75-200mm at 200mm.<br /><br /></p><div>00cou2-551016184.jpg.4ae70e910a56e63946a2a8225d4e9aa0.jpg</div>

<p>Where I couldn’t get anything vertical for the AF to lock onto, it was nearly impossible to shoot, since the focus motor would hunt all over the place and not let you take a picture because it was ‘out-of-focus’. It's one way to guarantee your pictures are all in focus, -- just don't let the user take a picture that isn't in focus. [There is an alternative- manual focus.]<br /><br />However, this one astounded me.</p>

<p>This is the danged system somehow focusing on the raindrops on the window instead of the reflections. Snapped right into focus. Wow.<br /><br /></p><div>00couC-551016784.jpg.2e950c527b7af960fa3b44daf91b0555.jpg</div>

<p>Compared to the early, pre-Maxxum and contemporary cameras from Canon, Nikon, and the like, this was definitely a contender.<br>

Maybe if they hadn’t trusted whoever it was sold them a rip-off of Honeywell’s AF system, they’d dominate the market today?<br /><br />Enough.</p>

<p>My wife had (still has in a box) a 7000, don't know whether it's a crossed-x version or not. Probably not as it was bought in 1988. In any case, it took great pictures, and I have always thought that despite its very unconventional controls, it was quite friendly to use, and intuitive. The auto focus is, of course, its sore spot but that is handled rather conveniently by not using it at all. AF also gobbled batteries, so turning it off was also quite helpful on that score. The lenses were good, and like most Minoltas, the meter was accurate.</p>

<p>As JDM has found, the AF needs verticals. It's not too bad with the fast normal lens, but worthless with a slow zoom. </p>

<p>Alas, the 7000, like some other old Minolta Af cameras, had an aperture base plate problem, it seems. I don't even know exactly what that part does, but my camera guy says if it goes, you're out of luck. Replacements don't exist, and spare cameras dried up a good ten years ago or more. So if your Maxxum 7000 goes south, just toss it and get another, I guess. </p>

<p>I picked up one with a 50mm f1.7 on it for $5. I got it for the lens and was going to sell the body, but the re-sale is next to nothing. When KEH was at a local photo lab, they would have given me $1 for it. It works fine, so I may be tempted to put some film in it this weekend. It is currently on the shelf next to it's much younger and more capable sibling, the Maxxum 9xi. I had the crossed xx one many years ago but it died. A camera repair guy actually gave me more than I paid for it because he wanted the crossed xx.</p>

<p>Thanks for the trip down memory lane, JDM. I still remember fondly my Maxxum 7000, my first auto focus camera. It arrived just about the time I realized I was having big trouble trying to focus manually.<br>

I still have it buried away in a closet somewhere. Now reading this thread makes me want to find it and just hold it for awhile and remember. ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the first truly successful automatic focus camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I meant, "the first truly successful automatic focus <strong><em>SLR</em></strong> camera." It all goes back earlier in 1971 to AF point and shoots - the first commercial version of which was the Konica C35 AF which I reported on at<br>

http://www.photo.net/modern-film-cameras-forum/00bBLh</p>

<p>This was my first Autofocus camera. I purchased it back in 1998 used for about $200. I don't think mine had the crossed-X though ?</p>

<p>Not only did Exxon come down on Minolta because of the crossed-x, but Honeywell sued Minolta claiming they stole their Autofocus Patent. This would cost Minolta $156 million dollars but some say it was much more than that and could have been the beginning of the downfall for Minolta. </p>

<p>In any case, this camera was the first one I owned where the keeper rate on a 35mm 36exp roll of film was higher than 85%. Prior to that my keeper rate was about 50% due to autofocus issues. I kept this camera for about 2 years, but traded it in for a Canon Elan II, because it started skipping entire frames of film occasionally. </p>

<p>Back in the early '70s, Exxon was known as "double cross" mostly for their <em>mineral-rights lease acquisition </em>practices. As an undergrad geology major, I worked one summer with them in the West ... and yes, they were pretty <em>slick</em>.</p>

<p>Informative write-up on the 7000, great story! Thank you for the illumination.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>Oooh, I have one of those telezooms. Two, actually [hangs head], one is labeled "Ozunon" and the other I can't remember. Might be a Kalimar as well, but I'm not sure. Both in Maxxum/Alpha mount. Both have some internal haze, but here's a (sub-banal, crappy) shot taken wide-open with the Ozunon at full extension. IIRC I was given the Ozunon by the owner of a now-defunct camera store.<br /> <br />Thanks for the interesting and informative post. I didn't know the grips were interchangeable, among not knowing a bunch of other stuff.</p><div>00cpA2-551056184.jpg.5e746ea11b8f527e1c9dbacdfebe038c.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...

I'm such an egoist that I think everyone should read this old post of mine again. Accordingly, I'm adding this to it so it will show up in the lists as though it were a new post.

How do you like that, Dr. Frankenstein?

• Like 1

One interesting fact about the first generation Maxxums (5000, 9000, and 7000): You can use most of the "reverse engineered" third party lenses without a problem. When Minolta came out with the i series, many of those lenses would not work. Sigma would update theirs for a while until parts ran out. But, JDM, it is a worthy post that should have some more exposure.

I was temporarily working in a camera store in 2002 when a customer came in with a really beat-up 7000. I thought she wanted it repaired, but no, she was just picking up some processing. The camera had travelled the world with her. Being a Minolta lover myself, I liked the 7000 and the 9000 Maxxums, and still have some 7000's along with the ultimate, the Maxxum/Dynax 9.

I'm such an egoist that I think everyone should read this old post of mine again. Accordingly, I'm adding this to it so it will show up in the lists as though it were a new post.

How do you like that, Dr. Frankenstein?

JDM, I wait with bated breath for the next pearls of wisdom to drip from your fingertips... :p

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!