Minolta lens to Canon EOS adapter

I ran some searches on this subject but I'm unclear on the answer and just

wanted to get some clarification... I have a 30D and have several Minolta

lenses from my older system that I would like to shoot with. Is there an

adapter out there that will allow Minolta lenses to mount onto the 30D? If

there is one, can you point me to where I could purchase one? Thanks.

What kind of Minolta lens ? old manual focus or new Dynax system ? For the old one you have to forget that, the focus plane of the minolta are shorter than the EOS system, you will never be able to have focus at infinity. For the new AF system, I don't know !

No, sorry. Maxxum lenses and EOS lenses are mutually incompatible. With a 44mm register

on the EOS and a 44.50mm register on the Minolta, there probably isn't room for a

converter either. Maybe with advanced materials you could design a purely electronic whin

ring mount converter for a couple hundred thousand bucks. Because most Minolta lenses

have their AF drive in the body, it would be manual focus only as well unless you could

somehow put a lens drive motor in the converter that was less than 1/2mm thick.

There is no Minolta AF to EOS adapter. However, I have seen 3 versions of the Minolta MD (Manual Focus) to EOS adapters in the past. All of them are rare. One Version is a Reverse T-Mount MD (accept MD lens and has a male T-mount). Another version is a MD mount (lens) to M42 (body) adapter. Both of these adapters add 8 to 10mm to the optical path so it is made for macro only.

The 3rd version is extremly rare. It is a mechanical mount which adds to an MD mount to form a EOS bayonet. It retains the Rokkor lens' 43.5mm flange to film distant. It can't focus to infinity but a 50mm lens will retain useable working distant.

In theory an adapter for using maxxum lenses on EOS is perhaps possible (without using image degrading optical elements) but nobody makes one.

The problem is not so much the 0.5mm thickness the adapter would have to be , but the difficulty of the lens tabs being very close to the size of the EOS mount's minimum diameter.I did measure it once but can't remember the exact thicknesses required.

<BR>The half a mm thickness of the main outer part is not much of an issue because this part is simply a spacer anyway.Being thin here is no real problem.

<P>If a maxxum to EOS adapter is indeed possible it would cost about $50 to make,not the hundreds of thousands someone said....

<P><P>If you still want to use maxxum lenses on EOS you can easily do it by simply holding it against the body,i've done this many times.

<BR>Of course you'll need a third hand to focus... :)

>>>>Tommy Lee , may 22, 2006; 10:54 p.m.

There is no Minolta AF to EOS adapter. However, I have seen 3 versions of the Minolta MD (Manual Focus) to EOS adapters in the past. All of them are rare. One Version is a Reverse T-Mount MD (accept MD lens and has a male T-mount). Another version is a MD mount (lens) to M42 (body) adapter. Both of these adapters add 8 to 10mm to the optical path so it is made for macro only.

The 3rd version is extremly rare. It is a mechanical mount which adds to an MD mount to form a EOS bayonet. It retains the Rokkor lens' 43.5mm flange to film distant. It can't focus to infinity but a 50mm lens will retain useable working distant.<<<<

Tommy has given you the definitive answers here. I have the reverse T-mount adapter (usable only for macro lenses), which I no longer use because I bought an M42 Vivitar Series 1 90mm/2.5 Macro lens that I use with my EOS system (great combo!). If you are interested in the reverse T-mount adapter, let me know. They are very rare. I will want to keep the EOS T-ring, though, for my telescope. They are easily available.

Also, there has been some discussion recently on the Yahoo Groups Minolta Manual Focus or Manual Minolta Free forums (I think the latter). Someone was talking about a 0.0 mm adapter (I don't see how that is possible) and a 0.5mm adapter. Neither of these will allow focusing to infinity, but they will definitely allow focusing close to that. I could see using it with my Rokkor 35mm/1.8 and/or Viv S1 28mm/1.9 lens as a normal lens, my 58mm/1.2 as an awsome protrait lens, or with something like the Rokkor RF 800mm/8 reflex lens as a sharp, long telephoto. It will be particularly good with the f/1.2 lens because of the bokeh from that lens.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a URL for those forums because my work computer will not let me on to yahoo. (It probably shouldn't allow me onto photo.net either ;-)

If my calculations are correct (and they should be), a 1.0 mm extension will result in max focusing distances on the following lenses:

28mm 0.812m

35mm 1.260m

58mm 3.422m

800mm 640.8m

So maybe the 28 & 35 won't be useful. But a 92.8mm f/1.2 equivalent lens that focuses up to 3.4 m (11.2 feet) will make a dynamite portrait lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

I am also very interested to such topic

I have got a Canon EOS 20D and would like to mount on it my Minolta MD 50mm MACRO lens, only for macro purposes, don't care to focus at infinity but only to close subjects, such lens is VERY good for macros

Where can I buy one of the adapters described by Tommy and others?

Thanks in advance,

Aurelio

Hi Aurelio,

See the postings by David Saalsaa and myself on the Minolta Manual Free Yahoo group starting on May 27. He sells an adapter that you should check out. It will not focus to infinity, but that's not what you want. I am still undecided about it because I primarily want to use the 58mm/1.2 as a portrait lens on a Canon DSLR. The problem is the adapter how far away a subject can be focused. For your purpose, the adapter will be perfect.

Alternatively, I have a rare reverse T-mount that you may be interested in. Between it and a regular T-mount for EOS, you add about 15-20mm. I do not need it anymore, so if you would like to buy it, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was searching a lot of time for a Digital Refelex for my Minolta MD Rokkor objectives: at the end I found the Olympus E-410 with availible adapters Minolta MD on 4/3 System of Olympus, Panasonic and so one. The adapter costs about 58-80 USD and it is very fine to use my 50mm 1:1.4 Rokkor again. The Olympus E-410 is a very small nice camera and not very expensive. Presented in July 2007.

Burkhard

• 3 months later...

Hi,

This might be a bit extreme, but it worked for me...

I bought an old Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.8 lens from Cash Convertors for $10. It is a nice, clean lens.

I looked on eBay for an adaptor, but nothing came up that was cheap enough to consider (I just bought it for experimentation).

Luckily, I had some EOS macro tubes I'd purchased on eBay (the cheap, Chinese variety) for building a DoF adapter for my video camera.

Anyway, the end ring that fits onto the EOS camera, fits PERFECTLY over the Minolta lens! A quick mix of Araldite and, hey presto, a Minolta lens that now fits onto my Canon 350D AND my DoF adapter.

It means that the lens will never fit onto a Minolta camera again, but since I don't have one it's of no consequence to me. Also, you lose a fair bit of back focus, but the bokeh is just incredible!

I'll upload some photos under my EonPeon account....

I hope that helps.<div>00PcHz-45687684.JPG.044f2f6e14eb37b578a1cacb36e68968.JPG</div>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
<p>Really? Im supprised no one came across this . I was so excited when I found out that you can use MD lenses on the eos with out diopter adapters and focus to infinity. Look at thses links <a title="digitalrokkor" href="http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/minoltalens_normal.html" title="digitalrokkor">for this camera adapter</a> and <a title="MD to EOS technical details" href="http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/techdetails.html" title="MD to EOS technical details">techenical details </a> . I just wonder if i can jam a focus comfermation chip in there somwhere.</p>

<p>Oh an by the way Ian Nicholson, that really hurt me when i read where you wrote " The metal whatchamacallit tag on the lens gets snapped off..! " . Seriously i felt a twinge of pain hearing that. I look so hard for those old SR lenses that have the DOF preview lever (The metal whatchamacallit tag). I feel its a sin to alter those , because many of the newer minoltas dont have the DOF buttons on the body Like my x370 where it would be nice to have that lever on the lens. Why dont you get a used MC lens and 1st swap out the appature rings so the lens with the DOF lever had the appature ring with the tab for the newer cameras meter. Infact if you want, Ill trade ya :D</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>Hello everybody! I need help.<br>

I'm starting in photography...so i don´t understand a lot of things... but i want to understand.<br>

I have an canon rebel xt. I also have an Minolta AF 28-80 0.38m/1.3ft Macro lens from an ond analogue camera of my brother. it's possible to use this lens in the my canon? if it's possible, what kind of adapter ring i need to buy<br>

thanks a lot for help me and sorry my english.</p>