Minolta Hi-Matic E loose lens barrel...

<p>Hi Everyone,<br /> I just bought a mint Minolta Hi-Matic E rangefinder. Everything is nice and clean and first roll is loaded but I noticed that when I push the lens barrel from the side, it's coming out! Not much, maybe 1mm (an angle of maybe 3 degrees)! I can pop it back and it stays in place but but it's like a nightmare!<br>

Please tell me:<br /> <strong>Do You think it will affect image quality??? </strong><br /> I don't think someone dropped the camera... Maybe just hit the lens... Anyway, I believe it need fixing.<br /> <strong>Is it simple tightening the screws or professional collimation is requied?</strong> <br /> I will finish the roll anyway and post some pictures. <br /> Thanks,<br /> M.S.</p>

<p>Maciek, posting a picture of the rear view with the film door open, might just reveal to us if the retaining ring is easily accessible for tightening. If it isn't, then the front leatherette needs to be peeled away, along with a top plate removal in order to access the "lens unit" tightening ring.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response, Gus! Well, it's not the whole lens unit loose, it's the front part that retract while focus.<br>

<strong>And when I pop it back it stays in place and looks straight... </strong> <br /> <strong>Do You think the lens need collimation even if I find screws and tighten the lens in straight position?</strong><br /> Thanks! M.S.</p><div>00Ycsj-351785784.jpg.0179dad1d78e54d3d31ef9aadc87102b.jpg</div>

<p>Once you get it tightened, you'll confirm the RF infinity and if it checks OK, then you'll check the film plane focus. Whether from the front or the rear, this little Minolta definitely needs some tear-down to get to the source of the loose issue.</p>