Minolta Hi-Matic 7s

That's why I never bought one. Never could find one with a working shutter or even a shutter that tried to work, if only sluggishly. Didn't want to waste time or money trying to fix it. I might now, tho', depending on the info available about how to disassemble and reassemble it.

I think they are fantastic cameras. Mine was working wonderfully until the shutter started to stick occasionaly. If you cock the shutter and fire it over and over again sometimes you can just work it free.

If you are more daring, consider purchasing a lens spanner wrench and you could probably try removing a lens element to gain access to the shutter blades.

My beloved 7s kicked the bucket when the entire lens barrel separated from the camera.. Sad.

You do have good batteries in there, right? Silly question I know.

The Minolta 7s has this funny shutter/aperture system and I do believe it needs a battery to function properly. Without a battery, only the iris operates and the shutter clicks but doesn't open.

That was my experience atleast, the battery shouldn't be expensive at all.

It's not a tough camera to disassemble, unless you have to get inside the lens. The top cover isn't bad at all. It's a good shooter, a bit big for a rangefinder I suppose (compared to the Canonet's which are too small for me) but the lens is FANTASTIC!

<BLOCKQUOTE><EM>The Hi-Matic 9, introduced in 1966 (along with the Hi-Matic 7s)

was a slight

improvement on the Hi-Matic 7s. It has all of the features of the Hi-Matic 7s plus 'Easy

Flash', a system which allows the photographer to set the Guide Number of the Flash on

the lens barrel. The camera then adjusts the aperture for correct flash exposure as the

camera is focused.</EM></BLOCKQUOTE>

<P>

I didn't know that about the 9. That's a useful feature!

Yes, it is a useful feature. The Olymplus rangefinder series (SP, RD, RC, etc) also used this system and called it flashmatic.

"The Hi-Matic 9, introduced in 1966 (along with the Hi-Matic 7s) was a slight improvement on the Hi-Matic 7s. It has all of the features of the Hi-Matic 7s plus 'Easy Flash', a system which allows the photographer to set the Guide Number of the Flash on the lens barrel. The camera then adjusts the aperture for correct flash exposure as the camera is focused.

I didn't know that about the 9. That's a useful feature!"

Okay, I sent for an estimate to Essex camera on my Hi Matic 9. I said "Slow shutter, often pauses up to a second before firing. Clean and adjust rangefinder." They said $70 plus shipping and handling of $8.

So, for $20 off of ebay and $78 CLA you get a pretty excellent camera.