Minolta Dimage F-3000 (a.k.a. Scan Multi) Film Scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by canon man, May 3, 2003.

1. I have a chance to buy one but have no specifications. I need
    somehting that will scan my Medium format slides and 35mm slides.
    Some thing I can use to digitize to advertise my work. I am just
    getting strted as a semi-pro, I don't have a whole lot to spend on
    one just something that can get me by for now until things get
    kicking.

2. x

x

A quick look on the web shows this to be an obsolete scanner, introduced in 1999, better known as the Dimage Scan Multi:

http://www2.minolta.com/japan/dp/lineup/

There is a test of this posted at:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DSM/DSMA.HTM

With a medium format scanning resolution of 1128 dpi according to the above test you can do much better elsewhere. The 35mm resolution is claimed to be 2800 dpi.

These beasts are frequently advertised in the UK new for around 800 UKP, which still sounds on the high side to me. Whether this deal is suitable for you depends how cheap it is.

3. I likewise believe this is also known as the Minolta Scan Multi; unlike Kim, however, I wouldn't immediately write it off merely because its technology is now outdated.

As you might have guessed, I own one of these and with careful technique, using Vuescan instead of the OEM software, and scanning in 16-bit mode (which isn't actually 16 bits, but 12 bits padded to 16) it works quite well. In combination with an Epson 1280, I'm able to create prints up to 11" square (I shoot 6x6) that more than meet my quality expectations. Of course, your mileage may vary...

For the price -- factory refurbished units can be bought from various sources, including eBay, for less than $500 these days -- I think it's still an option worth consideration for those on a budget.

4. Thank you Kim for the links, and thanks Jefferey for the personal experience with te machine. I have achance to buy one for around $150 so I think it will serve my purposes as right now I am on the low end of cash but needing to get slides on the internet. At the moment I am not interested in printing at home, I just want to get my chromes digitized and on my website for advertisement. Any prospective buyers are not going ot want to pay for the file when they could get the chrome on a time aggreement then drumscan it for their purposes there fore having more res than I could give them even on a newer desktop unit.

I had the oppurtunity to get a Dimage for 35mm that is only a couple years old from a freind who owns a lab(one of their old ones) but it does not scan MF and most my work now is MF. A recent switch made it prudent to find a different scanner. This was the only one that I would not have to give up my first born (ulcer, teenagers are great) for, and the review seemed to reveal a bit about it. It states that it has 12bits per colr IOW 12 bits red, 12 bits green, and 12 bits blue, per pixel on the CCD sensor so doesn't that come out to 36 bits per channel or am all wet on that?

The review did show the MF scans were sharper than the 35mm so leaves something to be experimented with. Obsolete or not I guess some would say I am obsolete when I am on a mountain top with my view camera so, for a low price I might be able to get a kick start on my goals.

I figure that if I can get things together and shooting the subject matter and making enough from it I can eventaually set up a digital darkroom, for now I will take any start.
    Thanks.
    Daniel