Minolta CLE

hiker

My father, who does not have access to the internet, is considering

selling his Minolta CLE kit. It includes the 28, 40 and 90 Minolta

lens', as well as a special camera bag made by Minolta to carry

everything, and the flash. All of it is in mint condition. Can

anyone help me out and let me know roughly what he should ask for it

all?

They can ask ;>) The most I've seen a mint CLE go for is around $700, with the lenses about $300 apiece, the flash around $125. That'd come to $1725, doubtful the bag would bring another $275. With parts virtually unavailable for the CLE (true, some parts can be scavenged from a contemporary Minolta SLR, *if* the repair shop knows which ones, those particular parts are the ones gone bad, and they have said SLR with working parts to cannibalize)anyone who buys one to use is taking a substantial risk, though the lenses are perfectly functional on any M-mount body. If Cosina were to make an R2 derivative on their AE chassis (Nikon FE10)which after the success of the M7 I would strongly expect, I would look for the value of the CLE to drop like the proverbial lead balloon...other than *maybe* a drop-dead-mint complete set as described (if it is *truly* picky-collector-mint, meaning it has no signs of use at all). If it is not that kind of mint, you might want to consider splitting up the set, as it might sell quicker.

On average, $450 for the body and about $225 per lens, though it could vary (up or down) depending on condition--you'll need pictures to back it up. I am basing this on recent eBay transactions: the best available indicator of international market value.

Why do I suspect this post is a wind-up? If it's not, please contact me about selling the body.

• 4 months later...

The bodies tend to command $500 - $550 in Excellent condition $650-or so in Mint- , $400-500 in working user shape. I just bought one, $510 for an Excellent body, to replace one I had stolen a while back.

They are not nearly so risky - the Meter & shutter control electronics can be scavenged from a Minolta XG-7, which are extremely common and can be bought fully working for $50 on the famous auction site, and the rest is not particularly problematical at all.