1. Chiyoko Rokkor

2. "Early" Minolta Rokkor

3. "Late" Minolta Rokkor

Is this correct? I'm particularly interested in knowing the difference

(if at all) between the early and late Minolta Rokkor lenses. Is the

late Minolta Rokkor found only in Autocord III? Sorry for a long post,

but I'm beginning to fall in love with Autocord and want to know about

it. Thanks in advance.

Jerry, its great but not a large surprise that you're happy with your > 30 years old Autocords' performance. By all accounts they're fine cameras.

But the ancients, accepting your definition of them (worked > 30 years ago) were actually very good at making lenses. Two examples, my uncoated 101/4.5 Ektar made in 1946 and my single-coated (gasp!) 38/4.5 Biogon made in 1970. These are quite good, there's little that will beat them in their intended uses.

Cheers,

Dan

Eugene, I'm not sure where your information on "early" or "late" Minolta Rokkor's came from, or if you're just speculating. From what I've been able to gather there isn't much (if any) difference between the lenses used in the Autocord's from the mid '50s, to the ones fitted in later cameras. The time frame really isn't that drastic, Minolta only produced the Autocord, with its 4-element Tessar style Rokkor for a bit over ten years. (1955 to 1966).

Unlike the resource books I have for Rolleiflex and other popular makes, there is precious little in the way of information on the Autocord. Given the worldwide popularity of Minolta, I find this rather strange. I'd like to see factory documents and information like production numbers, techniques, models changes and upgrades through the years. In fact, I'll go as far to say that the MFD Archives probably has more information on the Autocord than anywhere else in the world! If you have a source of information Eugene, by all means share it with us.

Personal experience has shown me excellent examples of Rokkor's in both early (1958 Export model, Chiyoko Rokkor w/Seikosha-MX shutter) and late (1966 CdS-III, Minolta Rokkor w/Citizen shutter) cameras. After long conversations about this very subject with noted Autocord technician Paul Ebel, we have concluded that any vintage of Minolta Autocord is worth owning and shooting. Like any lens, some are simply better than others. In this case, I would say age -not actual condition of course- has no factor upon it.

I got my ideas from several Japanese websites, including this one: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/geo/foto/dangi9.htm

This particular page offers a comparison between the "export model" - the model with the Seikosha shutter without the selenium meter - and Autocord III, and the author explains that the lens performance is distinctively better in III. There were several other Japanese web sites, which I can't seem to find any more, that talked about the superior lens quality in III.

I've located several pictures of Autocord III (url's below), and they all have an amber reflection on the take lens, which is not the case with my Autocord (export model) and with the pictures of other models I saw. http://homepage.mac.com/bluepage/repair3.html http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1391684508 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1389774124 http://isweb1.infoseek.co.jp/~gizmo/photograph/phgear/medium.html# (click the grey button where it says "Serial No." 459995)

I'll keep looking for more concrete explanations of different Autocord lenses, but so far the evidence points to the existence of a new type of lens in Autocord III. I'd like to ask those who have several Autocords to share with how the lenses in different models look like side by side. (It's better, of course, if you have opinions for the image qualities among different Autocord models.) Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...