Minimum Shutter Speed with Auto ISO?

samuel_lipoff

<p>I have an Olympus E-PM1 and the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens. </p>

<p>For static subjects, and IS enabled, I find I can reliably handhold with this lens at 1/5 sec, and even a little slower if I'm willing to take a burst and select the sharpest image from that burst.</p>

<p>But with Auto ISO enabled, in aperture priority the camera would ramp right up to my set upper limit ISO for any shutter speed slower than 1/60 sec.</p>

<p>But then I found (although it's not documented in the manual) that if I change the shutter speed in the "Flash Slow Limit" setting in F-section of the custom menu, I can get the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO to go down to 1/30 sec, but no lower, even if I set the "Flash Slow Limit" to 1/5 sec or lower.</p>

<p>I am guessing that the camera is reading the focal length of the lens, and is applying the old 1/(FX equivalent focal length) sec "rule". So 1/(14mm focal length * 2x crop factor) ~ 1/30 sec. Changing the focal length value that I can manually imput for image stabilization purposes does nothing to change this minimum shutter speed. Putting on an adapter for a Nikon F-mount lens (an adapter that has no communication with the camera at all) does not seem to cause the minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO to go to Flash Slow Limit speed either. Mounting a flash does not seem to help either.</p>

<p>Other than running the camera in shutter priority mode, is there really no way to set a minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO? Is there some way to override the camera reading the focal length from the lens? </p>

Olympus' formula is fixed. It works well for (moderately) moving subjects and for people who don't want to

think about these things, but for me (and my mostly static subjects) it is a waste of perfectly good IBIS.

Thus, when I want to optimize ISO, I simply set the camera to shutter priority (S) mode and dial in the

shutter speed that I believe I can hold without a problem (or higher if aperture allows). It's not as convenient

as Auto ISO on Nikon cameras, but once you're used to it, it's acceptable.