Mini System

Two23

<p>Last month I spent a few weeks in Birtish Columbia, mostly around Whistler/Vancouver/Victoria. I took a Nikon D7100 with 11-16mm f2.8, 17-55mm f2.8, 80-400mm AFS, and one SB-900. Also took a small Leica IIIc and Leica lenses 28/35/50/90mm, small Sekonic meter, and a Travel Angel A269 tripod. Some thoughts. The Nikon was great at night with its AF and f2.8 zooms, but it was a pain to carry around. I mostly used the 17-55, used the 11-16mm a few times, and hardly ever used the 80-400mm VR (thought I'd see some wildlife but no.) I used the Leica a lot because it's so small and fun to shoot, but mostly only used it during the day since it has no meter and has no flash sync (made in 1942.) The Leica ruled by day; the Nikon ruled by night.</p>

<p>I've been thinking of getting something smaller and first looked at the Fuji XT1. It looked like a great camera for me, except that it plus lenses are no smaller/lighter than a Nikon D5300! The D5300 doesn't have a good selection of small lenses other than the 18-55mm kit lens, which is slower than I want. The D5300 also is slower to shoot since it only has one dial. SO, the XT1 is out, and so is the D5300. I'm looking for something about the size of my Leica, with similar sized lenses and similar handling. I love that Leica! I have some criteria I'm trying to stick to: Leica-sized, small but superb lenses available, optical viewfinder (don't like holding camera at arm's length,) able to use my Leica LTM lenses with adapter, small sized off-camera TTL flash available, hot shoe, sync of at least 1/200s, easy to focus manual lenses, and image stabilization would be nice. I will probably mostly shoot ISO 400 to 1600, but might push to 3200 sometimes. I will pair this with a light duty carbon fiber travel tripod that folds to under 18 inches. Dual SD cards would be nice but I don't know of any M43 that has that.</p>

<p>My reading has me zeroing in on the Olympus OM-D series. I think I would get one with the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 zoom and later add an Olympus 7-14mm f2.8. That would probably do it as I intend to keep the D7100 and lenses for my night/flash shooting. I had looked at single focal lenses 12/25/50mm, but that would just add to cost and complexity. The 12-40mm sounds like a stellar lens! There are two cameras I'm looking closely at, OMD-3 and OMD-5. The 5 is interesting in that it has better sealing and 5-way IS. The 3 sounds good in that it's a little less money and has the better viewfinder. I'm not quite ready to buy yet, but typically read up on things about six months before I buy. That's where I'm at now. I guess what I'm looking for is a small camera that is as fun to shoot as my little Leica, capable of accurate manual focus, and has excellent lenses available. Basically, a Leica IIIc that I can use at night. I'll add that I like traditional styling. So, any thoughts?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Hello:<br /> I don't have any of the equipment you mention, but, I have been looking. I am wondering why you did not mention a digital Leica body ~ since you already have four Leica lenses that you enjoy.<br /> <br />The Olympus kit that you mentioned would run about $3000.00 new.</p>

<p>There are used Leica M9 bodies, at B&H in the $3700.00 range:<br /> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801082341-USE/leica_10704_m9_rangefinder_digital_camera.html<br /> ...and there is a used M8 for about $2100.00:<br /> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801025578-USE/leica_m8_rangefinder_digital_camera.html</p>

<p>According to this site:<br /> http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,213<br /> the Leica M9 is a bit larger and heavier than the OMD EM5 (13% wider, 13% thicker and 185 grams heavier).</p>

<p>From what I've read, a digital rangefinder like the m9 can be focused in low light:<br>

http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00cXkI</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>I have the OM-D E-M1 which I got with the 12-40, and I came from an RB67 so it's definitely smaller! I absolutely love the 12-40, but compared to my other m4/3 lenses it's a little on the chubby side. Just picked up the 45 1.8 and that's tiny and weighs almost nothing. Both are excellent lenses.</p>

<p>The 12-40 has a full time manual focus ring which is handy as well. </p>

<p>Kent,</p>

<p>I got into µ43 on a lark, and ended up selling all the Nikon gear. My problem was I never had the Nikon with me, at work and such, because the kit, even if it was just the mid-range zoom and the tele zoom, and flash, was just too big for where I'm at these days.</p>

<p>Found an awesome deal on an OLD EPM-1 with kit lens and tried it. LOVED it. Menu system horrible when you first get into it, then it's just fine, thanks.</p>

<p>So, I started selling off some of my Nikon lenses I didn't use much, ended up with an OM-D EM-5 and the cheap tele kit lens. Both kit lenses work fine for me for now (in fact, they have exceeded my expectations so far), and the body, two lenses, flash all fit in my messenger bag along with all the other stuff I carry around. </p>

<p>Image quality is virtually the same. Depth of field is greater, that doesn't actually bother me, the only lens I use that I want big time out of focus highlights on, my 55mm micro with an adaptor, gives me that in spades. I plan to add the 45mm f1.8, perhaps the 12mm f2 and probably be done with it.</p>

<p>I don't focus track on sports and stuff, so this all works well for me.</p>

<p>But what's an OMD-3?, I know about the OM-D series, the EM-1, 5, and 10 (all about the same image quality and features, just different levels of build), is there a 3?</p>

<p>Also, know that the EM-1 is a little bigger. I didn't like the grip so I got a used 5. YMMV.</p>

<p>Oops, it's the EM-10 I read about on DPreview. Their conclusion was it might actually be the easiest to use and has the best view finder. I have thought about Leica M bodies, but am ruling out the M8. The M9 is a little bigger than I want, and I'm very hesitant to put that kind of money into digital camera bodies because they devalue so fast. My Leica lenses are all from the 1940s, except for the 50mm which is from ~1930. I could be talked into buying lenses such as the 12mm and 45mm</p>

<p>Kent, I went with the E-M1 after playing with one (with 12-40/2.8 zoom) at the local camera store's Demo and Sale event, where reps from pretty much every company came with a trunk of their wares. (Bought the camera and lens from the same shop, for those who were wondering.) I'd played with the E-M5 before, but it never felt "right" in my hands without the extra grip. Also, the E-M5 viewfinder was to me adequate, but not spectacular. The VF in the E-M1 is markedly better, IMO than that in the E-M5. I'm not sure about the difference in body size, but since I'd have wanted to use the M5 with the grip anyway, not sure it would have made a difference for me. I have no experience with the M10, and can't compare the 3-axis vs 5-axis stabilization, but I have be very happy with the stabilization in the M1.</p>

<p>As to lenses, the 12-40/2.8 is quite nice, and the weatherproofing is a nice feature that has served me well in a few situations. The M1 and /2.8 zoom are easy to carry and feel balanced as a set. One-handed grip is very secure, at least with my not over-large hands. I dislike the zoom-ring direction on the lens and am always zooming the opposite of the way I intended, but that's just me. A rather nice feature is that the lens has good close focus capability, down to 1:3 IIRC. As to the primes, I have the 45/1.8 and think it a touch better than the zoom at portrait-type distances and wider apertures. No experience with the 12/2. Just got a 20/1.7 Panasonic, so can't give much of an opinion on that yet. Though I already like its compactness. IQ seems okay at a glance, but have not pixel-peeped. On the telephoto end I bought the old 4/3 50-200/2.8-3.5 zoom which IMO has good IQ and adequate AF with the MMF-3 converter. (The lens is slow as hell to AF on the Panasonic GF2, my only other m4/3 body, incidentally.) I believe the 50-200 and MMF-3 are also weatherproof to some extent, but have not tried them out in inclement conditions to nearly the same extent as the 12-40/2.8.</p>

<p>I'm sure you have this in mind, but given the 2x crop of the m4/3 format, will you miss the WA range with your Leica lenses? What I'm trying to say is, personally I would/did buy into Olympus and m4/3 for its native capabilities, not for using legacy lenses. Actually I did snag a NEX-6 on discount and have been playing with old lenses on that gateway-drug device: now I'm trying to justify to myself getting an A7 for use with old lenses to keep the original perspective....</p>

<p>Finally, just for context, buying an expensive-ish new camera is very rare for me, as I tend to buy used or at the end of a product's cycle, so the E-M1 and 12-40 made a VERY positive impression on me. I have absolutely no buyer's remorse. Some have pointed out that the E-M1, 12-40/2.8 and 50-200/2.8-3.5 are not exactly a compact kit, but coming from a pair of D300's, 16-50/2.8, 12-24/4 and 100-300/4 or 300/4 it seems nice and light for me. I think my epiphany was after a trip with the above lenses (but single D300 body) and a Nikon V1 with the kit zooms I realized that something like 80% of shots I took with the V1 set simply because it was light, compact and thus easy to bring everywhere, had great AF, and good enough IQ for most purposes. That sold me on the "small is good" concept.</p>

<p>I'm busy unloading most of my film gear (I'm keeping a few nice cameras & lenses) to finance the purchase of an EM-1 with a 12-40/2.8. I was an OM-1/OM-4T user for >20 years before I was seduced by the cheap availability of monster pro SLRs from the 70's (Fs, F2s & F-1s). However, going back to a compact OM seems just right. The extensive weatherproofing is a major plus. Being a simple soul, I suspect that I will barely scrape the surface of the EM-1s customizability, but I'm anticipating a fun journey getting to know this system.</p>

<p>Kent, if/when you are ready to buy, check out the Olympus Outlet. They have refurbed OMD's. I have the 5 on order right now. I went with it because of the stabilization and weather sealing over the EM10. I think the EM 10 does have the better finder, but think OLY will realease a follow up to the EM5 maybe in a year or less and the EM5 I get now will become a backup. </p>

<p>Not sure if you remember me or not, we talked at Butterfield a couple of years ago about large format and antique cameras amongst other things. You had the Leica and your Nikon along. I suggested m4/3 might be a fit for some of your lenses. I don't like hauling a lot of gear around and think if I must do so, it should be for something serious like a 4x5 LOL. I still haven't got one but I'm getting closer. </p>

<p>Are you still shooting trains in the night? Really enjoyed some of those.<br>

<br />--Ryan Ware</p>

<p>Hey Ryan! Yes I do remember you. Yes, I still photo trains at night:<br /> https://www.flickr.com/photos/96826069@N00/</p>

<p>threshing machines too. I was thinking of using the M43 while carrying the 4x5 around. It would almost fit in a pocket. I am the type that does a lot of research before buying and am in no hurry. I am selling off a lot of stuff I don't use and will then settle on what to buy. An updated EM5 would be good, and probably something like a 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm f2.8. Plus small off-camera flash and light CF tripod would round out a nice little system.</p>

<p>Didn't make it to Butterfield this year as I was up in Canada. The last steam threshing show in my area is coming up this weekend in Menno, SD. It's a nice way to end the threshing season.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>kent, the fuji systems are great but as you noted, you dont really get much size advantage (vs. entry-level DSLR) with an XT1 and any of the zooms, except 18-55 OIS which is great but no tele capability. m4/3 zooms are just a bit smaller, but pricey to build a new system, and the bodies have high-ISO limitations, forcing you to use fast primes in low-light. i'm wondering what you think of the LX100 and its 24-75/1.7-2.8 lens. for $900, its less than a good m4/3 body with 2.8 standard zoom--essentially you're getting the body for free with the lens purchase--and takes on not only the Sony RX100 and Canon G7x, but also the Fuji X30, X100t, Ricoh GR, and Nikon Coolpix A in the high-end compact market. of course you dont have wide and tele interchangeable lens options, but as a travel/street shooter, IMO it could be a game-changer. thoughts?</p>

<p>Kent,<br>

A few years ago I felt it was no longer worth the pain to take my Nikon gear on long hiking trips and I dipped my toe into the micro4/3 pond. I started with a refurbished (by then already outdated E-PL1 with the kit lens for 150 bucks). I took it for three weeks backpacking through Asia and liked the pictures I brought back. So I bought better lenses and upgraded to an E-M1 last year. I must say I love it. Everything from 7 - 100 mm (plus the camera and a few extra things) fits into a small waist pack and weighs far less than my comparable Nikon set. Yes, sometimes I miss the optical viewfinder, and I still use my Nikon shooting sports, but for most other things my two Olympus cameras do the job. In most cases it's the E-M1 and 12-40mm which I use the most. The weatherproofing is impressive. One December morning last year camera and lens were encrusted in a thick layer of wet snow that came down faster than I could get rid of it. After an hour I had to go back to the car - my glasses were so fogged up, snow-encrusted and what not that i couldn't see any longer. The camera just kept on shooting - though it was difficult to keep the front element dry.<br>

Christoph</p>

Christoph Geiss