Military poses

nani_myers

<p>Hello Everyone! A military wife who is also in the military has asked me to do a shoot of her and her husband in their uniforms. Her husband is about to retire and would like a couple shot before he retires. I need suggestions on how to pose them in their uniforms and good locations for background.<br>

I am also in the military and for those that are to will know showing PDA in uniform is not the norm. However, I don't want the "cold DA Photo" look either. I want the picture to show that they are a couple and show personality but not too "mushy" at the same time. What would be the best way to pose couples in uniform. Also, where would be a good location to shoot? I am used to doing baby shots and family pictures that are fun, personable, sweet and cuddly. <br>

Thank you guys in advance for the advice!!</p>

<p>On-Post museum.<br>

Cannons - old ones on display rather than the field gun for Command Salute at the flagpole.<br>

Tanks on display.<br>

Steps of the Chapel, if it's picturesque.<br>

Some locations to think about. As to poses... I used to take the 'cold DA Photo's, so I probably am not too imaginative there. I think I would make one other suggestion though... since you and the couple will be focussing on posing and interaction, it might be helpful if you can get an NCO to come along and help make sure their uniforms are all squared away for the shots. One less thing for you to worry about.</p>

<p>A proper outdoors photograph in uniform may require that they wear their hats or caps which might be a problem with shadows. Maybe some simple poses indoors near a unit/organization display that would make reference to the retiree's group could work nice. </p>

<p>PDAs are not necessary to show a close relationship. Have them stand near, one behind the other, but offset such that any badges or ribbons that are important to his/her career are properly displayed. Once they are relaxed and comfortable the closeness might come through on it's own.</p>

<p>Just my thoughts... hope it helps.</p>

<p>What base are you guys at? Every Army base I have been to over the years has got a ton of static displays up scattered around post. Here at Fort Riley, Junction City (right outside the gate) has a real nice park with several memorials that are good places to take shots. Also remember, theres nothing wrong with a little PDA in uniform, just nothing over the top. Are you planning on doing this in their dress or duty uniform? You may try a combination of uniforms, and have some fun with it when they are in the duty uniform (one helping the other over a wall on the obsticle course, or low crawling towards each other...) Just a few ideas.<br>

Troy W.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Thank you all for your responses! Troy, I believe they want to do their pictures in their ACUs (duty uniform), but thats a great idea about mixing it up. And Gary, great idea about staggering them to show their awards...thats definitely a must! And thanks again Thomas, I believe you helped me with another military project I was working on. Thanks again guys!</p>