Military Photos

httpwww.photo.netdman

[ATTACH=full]1328016[/ATTACH]

CV-10 Yorktown 1943

1943?

I wish the image were larger or my eyes were better, but... Some of the aircraft on deck look surprisingly modern. The plane at the stern appears to have twin vertical stabilizers like the FA-18 or F-14. The aircraft aft of the island on the port side looks like a helicopter. The tail of the aircraft at the bow look flat on top like a modern jet (F-4H ?}, not rounded like most WWII vintage aircraft.

CV-10 was the second carrier of that name; the first CV-5 was sunk at Midway, the year before CV-10 was commissioned. CV-10 is now a museum. I suspect this photo is of the Yorktown as a museum in Charlestown, South Carolina and looks very much like this picture from Wikipedia.

CV-10 - Bing images

• Like 1

1943?

The carrier was built in 1943 as a replacement for the earlier Yorktown, sunk in 1942. It continued in service until the end of WWII, then was recommissioned for Korea, variously modernized, and served ultimately until 1970. Waste not, want not.

My picture was taken from the ferry to Fort Sumter.

Don't know which aircraft carrier. But I took this shot while in the USAF in 1966 while crossing Pearl Harbor.

[ATTACH=full]1328327[/ATTACH]

I believe I can just barely make out 62 with a bit of filtering, which was the USS Independence. It definitely is a Forrestall class carrier.

• Like 1