middle position on D90's AF/M switch?

PaulWhiting

Just acquired a D90 in excellent condition but I'm a little concerned about the AF/M switch on the body, just below the lens release button. Midway between those positions there's another detent, a position which has no label. Has anyone here experienced that? Is it a problem? Or a feature?!

TIA,

Paul

www.paulwhitingphotography.com

Midway between those positions there's another detent, a position which has no label.

During the travel of that switch from one position to the next, the spring-loaded AF screw in the lens bayonet is retracted (AF -> M) or extended (M --> AF) and you may feel movement (retraction/extension happen sudden not gradual) when you move the switch.

As long as the switch operates properly - i.e. it disengages and engages AF reliably - and stays put in the on and off positions, then I wouldn't worry about it too much Paul.

Switching between AF and manual is something that can be done on the lens in many cases anyway. Not manual only lenses obviously!

@Dieter Schaefer : Right, I began looking at the camera more closely and indeed I noticed the AF pin moving in and out. Of course, I had to remove the lens to be able to see that pin. And - at that point I moved the AF/M switch back and forth and I had no detent, no middle position!

I only have one lens but I'm going to borrow a friend's lens and see how the AF/M switch behaves. Maybe the tab in the lens is a little off.

[uSER=2403817]@rodeo_joe|1[/uSER] : Very reassuring, thank you!

Edited by PaulWhiting
www.paulwhitingphotography.com