Micro 4/3 is Dead

Olympus announces discontinuation of the Micro 4/3 System.

Not quite. They announced the end of production the Four-Thirds (4/3) lenses and thus the end of the 4/3 system; its successor m4/3 (micro Four-Thirds) is alive and doing apparently quite well.

There's already a previous post on the same subject: https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/olympus-discontinues-production-of-four-thirds-lenses.5497244/

• Like 1

think this thread is a prize example of fake news

Actually, it isn't an example of "fake news" at all unless you assume that the OP wasn't merely making a mistake but added the "micro" deliberately. And nothing really points to the OP intentionally trying to mislead. Of course, there's also the possibility that the OP isn't aware of the difference between 4/3 and m4/3.

does anyone know why it wasn't called 3/4 system

Because there would be no end to the jokes that it isn't even a "full" system? You only get 75% of what you paid for?

Not excited, just passing along the news. I've used Olympus cameras in the past for their high quality in a small package. Only with film, however. I made a mistake adding "micro" to the headline. There were two articles side by side in DPReview.
  • Like 1

I am not surprised that Olympus is no longer makiing four thirds lenses cause I want them to put their efforts into the great OMD cameras. Cameras are like computers and I do not think anyone mourns that they no longer can get accessories to fit an Apple II or that Mustangs come with smaller engines or you name it. If one can get ten active years out of a system and still find someone to repair it, feel lucky. I have an operatonal E-1 and E-3 and both are fine and dandy. But I have moved on. I expect many others feel the same way. Nothing is dead if it still can be used. Let us say no eulogies for four thirds. I found it great. Still do. No valediction necessary. Someone out there is using this gear...

• 2 weeks later...